A tip to lose weight

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

A tip to lose weight

Post by martyn94 »

Let your gas bottle run out at about 19.28, and then find that you never got round to replacing the spare bottle. If you get your timing right, you can spend some calories on preparing your dinner without the burden of eating it.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: A tip to lose weight

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote:Let your gas bottle run out at about 19.28, and then find that you never got round to replacing the spare bottle. If you get your timing right, you can spend some calories on preparing your dinner without the burden of eating it.
Keep up with modern trends Martyn, pretty well every restaurant now avoids the effort of cooking food by offering ‘Tartare of something’.

Personally I hate it, I had a meal with a group of friends recently that served what was allegedly tartare of tuna but was in reality tasteless mush.

So what did you do? Phone Dominos?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote: I was once eating in a traditional Paris restaurant which is in all the guidebooks, next to an American couple who were on the point of ordering steak tartare. I’m not usually so officious (except on this forum), but I took the liberty of asking whether they knew it was raw: they were horrified, and duly grateful. Though I suppose I lost them an experience to dine out on back home.
I had a similar experience staying at the Feathers in Woodstock which is very popular with American tourists. At breakfast whilst partaking of a ‘full english’, one gentleman asked ‘what exactly is black pudding?’ So the waitress explained in great detail and an entire room full of Americans all put their cutlery down in unison.

As for steak tartare, I love a good one and enjoy the theatre of seeing it properly prepared by hand.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Ooooops. Still bread and cheese can sometimes be rather delicious too. :lol:
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

Allan wrote:So what did you do? Phone Dominos?
Many years ago daughter number 2 brought a friend home from school for tea. My wife discovered that the cupboard was unexpectedly bare so suggested ordering a Dominoes.

Our charming little guest said "I'm not allowed Dominoes. Dad says they're full of crap." On seeing my wife's raised eyebrows she followed up with "He would know, he's the Managing Director".

Through a twist of fate said daughter is now involved with their marketing but somehow hasn't managed to include "full of crap" in any promotional campaign.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Webdoc wrote:
Many years ago daughter number 2 brought a friend home from school for tea. My wife discovered that the cupboard was unexpectedly bare so suggested ordering a Dominoes.

Our charming little guest said "I'm not allowed Dominoes. Dad says they're full of crap." On seeing my wife's raised eyebrows she followed up with "He would know, he's the Managing Director".

Through a twist of fate said daughter is now involved with their marketing but somehow hasn't managed to include "full of crap" in any promotional campaign.
I had a stint on the dole in the early 70s, was pretty skint and lived almost entirely on home-made pizza (it wasn’t a tragedy: I had already been accepted for my subsequent job, but they took an awfully long time to check that I wasn’t a Communist and didn’t have flat feet). I defy anyone to construct a reasonably filling healthy diet on less money, if you added a bit of home-made coleslaw. As you can still see daily in Rome or Naples (without the coleslaw). It even left you a few bob over to buy a beer. But I didn’t eat another one for many years, and have bought very few since: initially because I was just sick of them, but latterly because I can still cost out the ingredients to within a few centimes, and then compare that to the retail price.

I do sometimes make my own, but it it is oddly difficult to get strong bread flour in France.

Dominos etc just mystify me: if there is anything you wouldn’t want to leave to go soggy in a cardboard box for a quarter of an hour, pizza is it. Even if it doesn’t start with crap, it ends up being so. It’s also why the millennials can’t afford the deposit on €500,000 flats, apparently: too much lolling around eating over-priced pizza and watching Netflix.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

martyn94 wrote: I do sometimes make my own, but it it is oddly difficult to get strong bread flour in France.
Carrefour sell "farine spéciale pizza type 00". It works for me.

Russell
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

martyn94 wrote:
Webdoc wrote:
I had a stint on the dole in the early 70s, was pretty skint and lived almost entirely on home-made pizza (it wasn’t a tragedy: I had already been accepted for my subsequent job, but they took an awfully long time to check that I wasn’t a Communist and didn’t have flat feet). I defy anyone to construct a reasonably filling healthy diet on less money, if you added a bit of home-made coleslaw. As you can still see daily in Rome or Naples (without the coleslaw). It even left you a few bob over to buy a beer. But I didn’t eat another one for many years, and have bought very few since: initially because I was just sick of them, but latterly because I can still cost out the ingredients to within a few centimes, and then compare that to the retail price.
I occasionally added some tinned tuna, or even a couple of anchovies, at the weekend. I don’t think that olives were known in Gwynedd in those days (though in most other respects, it’s God’s own country, if only you could make a decent living).
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »