Best restaurant in the world?

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Best restaurant in the world?

Post by Allan »

According to Tripadvisor, the world’s best restaurant is in Yorkshire.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travelers ... estaurants

That is of course if you trust Tripadvisor.

I am sure this award is genuine, but I am sick of seeing mediocre restaurants suddenly becoming the top choice in a town on the basis of a series of clearly fake reviews.

One think that I have noticed is that French restaurants don’t seem to take bad reviews lying down and often bite back.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Best restaurant in the world?

Post by martyn94 »

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote:
I’m sure I don’t eat out as much as you, but I really don’t think you can blame TripAdvisor.

But it is still a step up from Berni Inns, excellent as they were.
I think I do blame TripAdvisor, they don't seem to do much analysis of the reviews they get to weed out the fake ones. At the end of the day, they are a commercial undertaking that makes money from advertising and commission on bookings. They attract people to their site by presenting themselves as a source of reference so they should do better. There was a case recently of a completely fictitious restaurant that got high up the TripAdvisor list.

I read reviews on L'Internaute quite often and am always stunned at how easily pleased people are. Maybe their expectations are low, similar to car satisfaction surveys where cheap ones always seem to get higher ratings than luxury cars.

As for Berni Inns, bring them back! I was lucky enough as a teenager to live near to a terrific one in Brentwood and ate my way through the complete menu and tried every liqueur coffee.

A few years ago I went on a nostalgic return visit and the place was hideous.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I’ve not read the book as I stopped cooking once I had taught my wife how to
Oooooooo, you’re going to be in BIG trouble! Lol

Loved Bernie Inn. A steak was always a treat in those days.

Think that we tend to assume that 20 reviews on a restaurant saying it’s great can’t all be wrong....and don’t think we’re all clever enough (or certainly I’m not) to see through fake reviews.....

But definitely think that programmes like Master chef have changed many people’s expectations of good food

Gimme a good Roast Beef and Yorkshire ouf or Fish and chips any day.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »