Pickled shallots

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Pickled shallots

Post by martyn94 »

Allan asked me the other month, on another thread, where I got my pickled onions from. I replied that I didn’t, and no longer pickled my own either, for lack of suitable onions, but that I did pickle shallots.

Which reminded me that I hadn’t made any for years. I duly did so, following this recipe (more or less)

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spi ... d-shallots

It’s essentially how I used to make pickled onions, but I found it useful to be reminded of the proportions. I find that cheap red wine vinegar works as well as malt vinegar: I had no mace for the pickling spice, but added some allspice berries and a small stick of cinnamon. And cassonade for the sugar.

They could do with a few more months in the pickle, and they are still quite crunchy. But I quite like them that way, and anyway have no willpower. I’ve made a couple more batches since which might survive long enough to be (even) better.

Get the biggest shallots you come across: they will almost always split in two as you peel them, once the skins have dried out for a while. It’s all quite quick and easy, apart from peeling the shallots which is hardly drudgery.