Smoked fish

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Smoked fish

Post by martyn94 »

There’s a newish shop (and smokehouse) here called Les Poissons Fumés de Port-Vendres. It’s on quai de La République - ie the RHS of the port, looking out to sea. It’s a bit round the corner, so not somewhere you might fall over by accident.

I’ve been working through some of their stuff (salmon, swordfish, another sort of salmon, sardines, mackerel). It’s all pretty decent, at worst, and nice (for me) to eat something artisanal made 400m from home. It’s not given away.

The best, for me, was probably the cheapest, the smoked mackerel. It is smoked much cooler than the mushy hot-smoked stuff you normally get, and quite unlike it.

Well worth a punt if you’re passing. Give them some encouragement, if only for my sake. Or buy it online.

But they are on their hols until 6 Feb (it was coming away empty-handed which moved me to post this).
Richard and Sharon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Richard and Sharon »

The smoked tuna is delicious but not cheap. Then again, you dont need to eat a slab of it to enjoy. The smoked sardines are good value and also a treat to eat!
It is also an interesting place to visit.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Richard and Sharon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Richard and Sharon »

Never having tried smoked eel, I will look out for that. Also on my next visit, the mackerel will be on my list. I didnt try it before on the clearly false assumption that it would be similar the typical UK supermarket offering.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Richard and Sharon wrote:Never having tried smoked eel, I will look out for that. Also on my next visit, the mackerel will be on my list. I didnt try it before on the clearly false assumption that it would be similar the typical UK supermarket offering.
I used to buy smoked eel at Selfridges, though not for years. It was a treat for myself after the challenge of buying knickers and socks at M and S. Pricey, but very rich. The eel (and a pair or two of kippers) probably cost more than the knickers and socks.