Decent poultry, anyone?

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Decent poultry, anyone?

Post by martyn94 »

I did my regular shop at Port-Vendres market this morning. It is not the best I have ever used, but there is some OK stuff if you look. But not a producer of convincingly "home-grown" poultry. At the (rather smaller) markets I use in Normandy, I have been buying my stuff (chicken, duck, but probably most often guinea-fowl, and the odd goose or Turkey) from the same stall, mother and daughter, for 25 years. I don't suppose they know all their birds by name, or sing them lullabies, but they are certainly excellent and genuinely free range. I would be surprised if they sold more couple of dozen birds a session. If they take a holiday, there are a couple of other stalls.

Anything like that round here, in practical reach of PV?
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

I suppose the PO does not have that sort of 'Agriculture'.... more in the Aude or even better the Ariege.
But for a Decent Grape Based Product from a 'Family Producteur'... the PO is pretty good....!!!
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Any
montgolfiere wrote:I suppose the PO does not have that sort of 'Agriculture'.... more in the Aude or even better the Ariege.
But for a Decent Grape Based Product from a 'Family Producteur'... the PO is pretty good....!!!
But cheese and bees and lamb and boudin and cherries don't grow on vines. Though I do of course take your point. I'd just hoped that if I knew half-a-dozen decent suppliers up there, I might find one down here. There's an awful lot of land which seems to be more-or-less abandoned, which I guess once churned out pinard. And an awful lot of able-bodied young people who might raise some chooks in between beating up their copines, if you believe the faits divers. Though of course it's women's work (the poultry, that's to say, not the violence).
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

No personal experience! but spotted this courtesy of google - and they deliver to Argeles apparently.

http://saveursdupayscatalan.com/volaill ... atalan.php
Ariègeoise
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ariègeoise »

How far are you willing to go, martyn? This farm is in Sournia, which might be too far, but they seem to offer what you want:
http://www.lafermedarsa.com/

I bought a proper free range local chicken this morning at Argelès market, though 'tis true that the PO can't quite rival the Ariège in that respect. If you're ever over near St Girons, let me know and I'll show you the best market for hundreds of miles ... :lol:
rogb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rogb »

A couple of years ago, we bought a goose for Christmas from the Ferme Sainte Eulalie in Arboussols (in the hills north of the Tet valley, above Vinca) and it was very good.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Ariègeoise wrote:How far are you willing to go, martyn? This farm is in Sournia, which might be too far, but they seem to offer what you want:
http://www.lafermedarsa.com/

I bought a proper free range local chicken this morning at Argelès market, though 'tis true that the PO can't quite rival the Ariège in that respect. If you're ever over near St Girons, let me know and I'll show you the best market for hundreds of miles ... :lol:
Thanks. I'd thought Argelès would be my best local bet, but hadn't been bothered to do it on spec (I always get lost in the one-way system even when it's not market day). It's only a hop and a skip by train and bike.
Ariègeoise
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ariègeoise »

A ps to this if anyone's still listening - I paid a visit to the new (and excellent) Biocoop in Le Boulou today and discovered that it has a butchery counter, with some very nice meat and poultry! So another option maybe, Martyn?

Actually it's a bit bizarre as it's right next door to Reso Bio, which is also very good. Can they both survive, I wonder?
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Yes, I was wondering that myself. I get my cottage cheese from Réso Bio and they're always really friendly. Will be a shame if they fold but they're going to have to pull out all the stops. Think people are automatically attracted to new shops. I know I am
eda66
Rank 1
Rank 1

Poultry

Post by eda66 »

I can recommend Les Saveurs Paysannes in Saint Esteve. They grow their own organic vegs and also have quite a bit of land with free range chickens, turkeys etc. They are now taking orders for Christmas.

0468513513 or search for saveurs paysannes on google.

Eliane