Radio Times & TV Times

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Radio Times & TV Times

Post by Smiley G »

Has anyone had difficulty buying these magazines?
I only ask as the last time the newsagents in Argelès had them were the Christmas issues for both which expired on January 1st.
There have been no deliveries for the current week (Jan 2 to Jan 8th) and this morning, when they normally arrive in stock, both have not been delivered for next week (Jan 9 to Jan 15).
I've asked our newsagent to contact the French distributor to see what the problem is but I thought in the meantime any buyers out there may have already found out what the problem is.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Radio Times & TV Times

Post by martyn94 »

Smiley G wrote:Has anyone had difficulty buying these magazines?
I only ask as the last time the newsagents in Argelès had them were the Christmas issues for both which expired on January 1st.
There have been no deliveries for the current week (Jan 2 to Jan 8th) and this morning, when they normally arrive in stock, both have not been delivered for next week (Jan 9 to Jan 15).
I've asked our newsagent to contact the French distributor to see what the problem is but I thought in the meantime any buyers out there may have already found out what the problem is.
Absolutely no difficulty at all. But what on earth are they?
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

martyn94 wrote:
Martyn, I do not understand your post. "But what on earth are they?"
The BBC's Radio Times is a weekly publication listing UK television and radio programmes for a week commencing each Saturday. The TV Times is the ITV version but does not include radio schedules.
Hopefully someone out there may be able to shed some light on why this current week's magazines have not been delivered to newsagents and why they have not been delivered yet for the week commencing Saturday 9th.
We, and other people we know use it to identify what we want to watch and when and in addition what we will catch up using iPlayer etc.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Why buy something you can get for free?

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/
Dylan
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Smiley G wrote:
martyn94 wrote:
Martyn, I do not understand your post. "But what on earth are they?"
The BBC's Radio Times is a weekly publication listing UK television and radio programmes for a week commencing each Saturday. The TV Times is the ITV version but does not include radio schedules.
Hopefully someone out there may be able to shed some light on why this current week's magazines have not been delivered to newsagents and why they have not been delivered yet for the week commencing Saturday 9th.
We, and other people we know use it to identify what we want to watch and when and in addition what we will catch up using iPlayer etc.
I was being a bit snarky. Not my normal mode, but I can only say in my defence that I'm giving up smoking (it's easy, I do it every year). I have studied expat journals in expat places for decades, but had never thought that anywhere wd run to Radio Times and TV Times (the Sun and the FT always seemed sad enough for me, in their different ways). But good luck, if you can't find the programmes in the zillion ways, as has been suggested, that they can be got for nothing.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

I can sympathise with Smiley G, it is irritating if you can't get the publications you are used to. The Radio Times and TV Times have a combined circulation of over a million so I don't think it is just about program guides.

When I first moved to France I used to seek out the Sunday Times and get annoyed if it wasn't available or had sections missing. Nowadays, I just read on on-line and to be honest I now prefer it that way.

The 2 magazines are both available on line but if you prefer the printed version why not place a regular order with your newsagent or buy a postal subscription
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Are you serious?

I miss a good gingernut biscuit and shreddies ceria and ask anyone who I know is coming to france if they have room in their luggage for either, but TV info can be found online....you are lucky if you can find a day old UK newspaper in a pressé near me.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

UPDATE
Radio Times for week commencing 9th January now on sale.
TV Times for the same week due in on Monday.
The delays were caused by the French distributors being on holiday until Monday 4th.
It didn't stop them delivering last week's TV & Radio Times to retailers today!! :lol: :lol:
By the way, I buy the Radio Times as it's full of interesting articles, crosswords and other brain teasers, it's not just for TV schedules as I do know they can be found for free online.