Recommendation for mattress shop

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Recommendation for mattress shop

Post by Sus »

We have recently bought a new mattress and after much searching we bought from Font in Figueres. It is a smaller, family owned business and we got really good service, delivery up to Perpignan is free. The daughter, Gemma speaks French but no English and of course Catalan. We are very happy with our purchase and can definitely recommend the shop. We ended up buying the duvet/pillows and bedding from John Lewis, I have no idea how they do this but the delivery charge for all was £7.50.

www.matalasseriafont.com
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

We bought a new bed and mémoire de forme mattress last year at Logial in Le Boulou (next to Aldi). Was quite surprised to find that prices compared really favorably with the big furniture chains.
Nigel and Karen
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Nigel and Karen »

thanks, I am looking for a new mattress, I am curious ? how did you get rid of the old one ??
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus »

Nigel and Karen wrote:thanks, I am looking for a new mattress, I am curious ? how did you get rid of the old one ??
We didn't as we using the bed in our guest room but I think that you can just bring it to your local déchèterie?
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Sus wrote:
Nigel and Karen wrote:thanks, I am looking for a new mattress, I am curious ? how did you get rid of the old one ??
We didn't as we using the bed in our guest room but I think that you can just bring it to your local déchèterie?
Or ask at the Mairie. They should give you a date for collection of "Dechets encombrantes"

Russell
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

russell wrote:
Sus wrote:
Or ask at the Mairie. They should give you a date for collection of "Dechets encombrantes"

Russell
I've got a new bed on the way, I was just going to take the old one to the déchetterie - presumably there is no problem with that - is there?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Recommendation for mattress shop

Post by Allan »

Sus wrote:We have recently bought a new mattress and after much searching we bought from Font in Figueres. It is a smaller, family owned business and we got really good service, delivery up to Perpignan is free. The daughter, Gemma speaks French but no English and of course Catalan. We are very happy with our purchase and can definitely recommend the shop. We ended up buying the duvet/pillows and bedding from John Lewis, I have no idea how they do this but the delivery charge for all was £7.50.

www.matalasseriafont.com
I'm glad you found somewhere you could trust

I tried to buy a new bed and found the whole process frustrating. The bed industry seems to be one that makes prices up as it goes along and seeks to confuse consumers by inventing different product names in each retailer.

It seems very difficult to actually draw comparisons or even find out what they are offering.

In the end I bought a bed in the UK from a firm that ships to France.

I do agree that Spain seems to provide better options, we bought a guest bed from EuroMoble de Bru near Empuriabrava and were very happy with it.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

The delivery guy from Logial took our old one away with him when he delivered the new. Can't remember for sure but think there was a small charge for it.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I seem to have bought quite a few over the last few years, in between old ones to replace and new places to equip, and I have always ended up at IKEA. I don't know that they are outstandingly good or outstandingly cheap, but I reckon they are pretty good for the money, and the tartier ones are very adequate.

More to the point, you avoid the "cowboy" impression that Allan has referred to and I have found everywhere else. The prices are good and you know there's no point in haggling. But mostly it's because I value the extra 10cms length that you get in IKEA's sizes (e.g. 140x200 against 140x190): it's bizarre that sizes have been the same for decades, while people are getting longer by the day.

It's said (mostly I guess by IKEA) that one European child in ten is conceived in an IKEA bed: that's no longer a recommendation to me, but it may be to others.

As for duvets, I warmly endorse the thumbs-up for John Lewis, slightly against my will - I don't normally see myself as part of J Lewis's "core demographic". But the one I use most is (again) from IKEA: incredibly cheap and incredibly thin - which is just what I want. For high summer, I have an even thinner cotton blanket - like a cot blanket, but a lot bigger.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote:I seem to have bought quite a few over the last few years, in between old ones to replace and new places to equip, and I have always ended up at IKEA. I don't know that they are outstandingly good or outstandingly cheap, but I reckon they are pretty good for the money, and the tartier ones are very adequate.

More to the point, you avoid the "cowboy" impression that Allan has referred to and I have found everywhere else. The prices are good and you know there's no point in haggling. But mostly it's because I value the extra 10cms length that you get in IKEA's sizes (e.g. 140x200 against 140x190): it's bizarre that sizes have been the same for decades, while people are getting longer by the day.

It's said (mostly I guess by IKEA) that one European child in ten is conceived in an IKEA bed: that's no longer a recommendation to me, but it may be to others.

As for duvets, I warmly endorse the thumbs-up for John Lewis, slightly against my will - I don't normally see myself as part of J Lewis's "core demographic". But the one I use most is (again) from IKEA: incredibly cheap and incredibly thin - which is just what I want. For high summer, I have an even thinner cotton blanket - like a cot blanket, but a lot bigger.
Presumably you have to buy the bed linen from Ikea as nobody else's will fit.

We bought a Zip and Link bed which separates into 2 when our grandsons are here. Each bed is 200cm long and we had a terrible job getting bedding for it and ended up buying it in England. When the beds are together we have a mattress topper on them, again we couldn't find bedding to fit. We bought some fitted sheets from Yves Delorme in Perpignan but they were nowhere near deep enough. When I took them back they told me that the standard depth in France was 30cm and I was unlikely to find bigger anywhere.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:
martyn94 wrote:I seem to have bought quite a few over the last few years, in between old ones to replace and new places to equip, and I have always ended up at IKEA. I don't know that they are outstandingly good or outstandingly cheap, but I reckon they are pretty good for the money, and the tartier ones are very adequate.

We bought a Zip and Link bed which separates into 2 when our grandsons are here. Each bed is 200cm long and we had a terrible job getting bedding for it and ended up buying it in England. When the beds are together we have a mattress topper on them, again we couldn't find bedding to fit. We bought some fitted sheets from Yves Delorme in Perpignan but they were nowhere near deep enough. When I took them back they told me that the standard depth in France was 30cm and I was unlikely to find bigger anywhere.
If you mean fitted bottom sheets, you're right that IKEA is the obvious place to buy them 200cm long: I nearly mentioned that, but it seemed too obvious. Other people have them, e.g. habitat.fr (I bought mine in their sale, naturally). But of course you can just use a flat sheet:
I was taught when quite young to make a decent hospital corner, and occasionally regret that I no longer get much practice.

I agree about the depth of fitted sheets: I find that even the most expensive IKEA bottom sheets are a bit of a stretch for their not-quite-most-expensive mattress. But you can see their problem: a 35 cm drop is pretty much useless on a 20cm mattress. As first-world problems go, it's not the worst: I just give it a tug before going to bed, when I remember.
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus »

Allan wrote:
Sus wrote:We have recently bought a new mattress and after much searching we bought from Font in Figueres. It is a smaller, family owned business and we got really good service, delivery up to Perpignan is free. The daughter, Gemma speaks French but no English and of course Catalan. We are very happy with our purchase and can definitely recommend the shop. We ended up buying the duvet/pillows and bedding from John Lewis, I have no idea how they do this but the delivery charge for all was £7.50.

www.matalasseriafont.com

I tried to buy a new bed and found the whole process frustrating. The bed industry seems to be one that makes prices up as it goes along and seeks to confuse consumers by inventing different product names in each retailer.

It seems very difficult to actually draw comparisons or even find out what they are offering.

I do agree that Spain seems to provide better options, we bought a guest bed from EuroMoble de Bru near Empuriabrava and were very happy with it.
I couldn't agree with you more that I found the whole process so difficult, how can you invent so many different terms to describe the same article!
Last edited by Sus on Wed 19 Oct 2016 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus »

Allan wrote:

the size of the bed was also for us one of the reason why we ended up buying in Spain, but we also wanted a mattress of 180x200 with no seam and there is hardly any shop that supplies them. The mattresses from Font are made by a local company in Barcelona.

For quality, you can not beat John Lewis, the cotton and down used in their bedding are exceptional value for money.
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus »

Allan wrote:

www.matalasseriafont.com

we recently brought a load of old furniture to the decheterie and there was no problem at all.
Nigel and Karen
Rank 4
Rank 4

when you go to the decheterie do you just turn up as in the UK or do you need proof of your address ??
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Nigel and Karen wrote:when you go to the decheterie do you just turn up as in the UK or do you need proof of your address ??
It depends on the commune, ours has a swipe card that opens the gate. Previously it had a card issued by the déchetterie on proof of address.

Your Marie should be able to tell you, or if they have a website the information may be there
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus »

Nigel and Karen wrote:when you go to the decheterie do you just turn up as in the UK or do you need proof of your address ??
you can just turn up, there is usually somebody in a cabin but not really to check who turns up.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

For St Cyprien you need to get an access card in advance.

Pour obtenir votre carte d’accès à la déchèterie, vous devez vous rendre au siège de la Communauté de Communes Sud Roussillon, 16 rue Tharaud à Saint-Cyprien, muni d’un justificatif de domicile (quittance de loyer, facture EDF ou de téléphone).
Vous pouvez également faire votre demande de carte par courrier, fax ou mail (voir nos coordonnées) en y joignant la photocopie de votre justificatif de domicile. Vous recevrez votre carte ensuite par courrier.

http://www.sudroussillon.fr/index.php/s ... conditions
Nigel and Karen
Rank 4
Rank 4

thanks for the info, and link.
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus »

mariad wrote:How much did the Mattress cost you?
we bought a 180x200 and when we tried them out, we liked the most expensive one best, cost of 1620 with the base. but they have mattresses at less than half the cost, depends on what you like.