Typically 'English' present

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

dsd
Rank 3
Rank 3

Typically 'English' present

Post by dsd »

One of my fellow English teachers is retiring and we need a present for her for Friday! I wanted to get her something typically English as she spent a year there many years ago and still remembers her time there fondly.

Any ideas? Either the actual present or where I could go to find one?

Many thanks in advance
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Wilkins of Tiptree marmalade. A sort of Anglo-Spanish present: made from Seville oranges, but the best UK use of it. The big hypermarkets usually have some in their “expatâ€￾ range.
dsd
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dsd »

Ok thanks; good idea as a top-up present but I would ideally like something she could keep longer. Budget around 80Euros
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

What are her interests...how about a Magazine subscription
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

I think you have left it a bit late to get something for Friday.

What about a hamper of typically English produce, someone like Fortnum & Mason might be able to ship one.

Or a coffee table book about England
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Where was “her timeâ€￾ in England? You could get books, or even things, themed on that. amazon can deliver by Friday, if you’re lucky, if you pay the extra, or have “premiumâ€￾ (aka “primeâ€￾ everywhere else).

My oldest friend in France spent a week in Sheffield as a schoolgirl on some sort of jumelage. She remembers it fondly, but still speaks of “le gravyâ€￾ with a sort of holy terror. You could get her some Bisto, in an ironic way.
dsd
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dsd »

Thank you all for your suggestions. I agree it's a bit late but we only heard she was retiring last week and colleagues were slow about contributing money.

I thought of Prime and a book on Cornwall (I remember her telling me about a boyfriend she had in Falmouth) but got voted down by the others.

A colleague is going shopping in Perpignan for a shawl and I went to 5 Continents and got a pretty container of English biscuits and also one of English breakfast tea, plus a bottle of Guinness as a reminder of a trip to Dublin we did with the kids a few years ago.

Again, many thanks