Charity shops

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Julie Prosser
Rank 1
Rank 1

Charity shops

Post by Julie Prosser »

Does anyone know whether there are any charity shops in and around Sorede?
My father passed away at the end of last year and I have a lot of his clothing to find a good home for.
I can't say I've noticed any on my travels in the area but then again, wasn't really looking.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

This self-same question was raised by some of us on the forum a couple of years back,Julie.

Then, the concensus of opinion seemed to be, Croix Rouge and Emmaus (not really the same thing) aside,the French don't really do Charity Shops in the normally accepted British understanding of the term.

I do not think that this has altered much since then.
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Admin »

Hi Julie
The nearest I know to you is Ceret Red Cross. It is quite easy to find, on the same road as the lycéé, next to the ecole primaire (I think) and when it is not open, you can just leave bags etc outside.
Julie Prosser
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Julie Prosser »

I will search out the one in Ceret. Many thanks.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Julie
You don't have to go too far. There's the Catholic Secours in Sorede. Ask the girls at the tourist office and they can give you the direction. It's right behind the soccer field. They packup the items given and carry them off to the main office in Argeles, next to the Tresor Public.

Blackduff
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

Add "Secours populaire" and "Secours catholique" to your list. They too sell all sorts of things.
RF.
PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog »

The " Secours Catholic" have a Association "CARLIT-STOCK" who distribute clothes etc.

The HQ is 13 - 17, rue des Romarins, 66000 Perpignan.
tél./ Fax 04 68 85 24 29.
Open 9 -11h30 13h30 -16h30.

Basically it is a big warehouse where they have seamstresses who repair the clothes, etc, Engineers who check the electrical items, they are distributed to the needy.

On top of that they have a Public entrance where it is like a UK charity shop with numerous item on sale, the funds going to the charity.

ave Gal GUILLAUT to Rond - Point des Baléares then into ave Marcelin ALBERT, 7th on Left.

Michael
Julie Prosser
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Julie Prosser »

Thank you very much for all your answers - it will make a difficult job that bit easier.