Steel supplier?

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Steve&Julie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Steel supplier?

Post by Steve&Julie »

I know this may be a long shot but I am trying to find a 'steel stockholder' in 66 who supplies hand rail, round bar and flat iron.

The likes of the larger DIY stores keep small quantities, but nothing like what we need.
Anyone seen or heard of anywhere?
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

I guess that the best place is to check the companies along the Route de Thuir as well as the old route de Prade. Both roads might have what you need. There's are some other places but I really do not know the street of that name. It's in the area of St. Martin.

You mentioned that you need a lot but how much "lot" do you need. A bit more info might give some better thoughts to find a good source.

There are similar types of companies in the area just past the hospital. It's near to the airport. You have the Mercedes in that area as well as a large E.Leclerc.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Found this in Pages Jaunes under
ferraille en gros - Pyrenees Orientales
Baurès (Ets)

Activité : commerce de fers
Produits métallurgiques - Fers - Tubes. Quincaillerie-Outillage - Fournitures indust. Chauffage - Sanitaire - Climatisation.

Agence de Perpignan
av de Bruxelles
ZI St Charles
BP 5151
66031 PERPIGNAN CEDEX
tel . 04 68 56 29 30
fax. 04 68 55 42 25

Seems to be the only industrial supplier in the PO (only 1 response!)
Hope you're lucky!!
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
Serge

Post by Serge »

CCL on the Route de Thuir look like a possibility failing that what about a blacksmith type bloke - I think I have seen one in Le Boulou although I expect most towns will have one..........
Steve&Julie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Steve&Julie »

Hi Guys.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought I would be lucky to get any response let alone 3!.
I've google mapped "route de thuir". There are 3 possibilities:
D612 South from Milas or D612a West from Perpignan or un-classified road east from Castelnou?

I'm looking for hot rolled steel profile
about 8 metres of hand rail,
8 metres of 30mm x 3mm flat (bottom rail)
40 metres of 12mm round bar (spindles)
6 metres of 40-50mm box section (upright fixing posts)
to make an outdoor terrace and steps hand rail.
It's a lot for me, and it seems a lot for Brick Depot on line. I bought half this amount a few years ago direct from a steel stockholder in Liverpool to make an indoor banister rail. I thought I would do similar on the outside.

There's a pic of what I did last time amongst this lot: It's a big page so don't click if you are on dial up.
http://www.lomaxelectrical.btinternet.c ... touges.htm
It's a summer project but I'll do a reccie in the next few weeks.

Steve
Serge

Post by Serge »

Looks like you have had a lot of work to do there Steve .............

.. made a good job of it as well by the looks of it. Image

.. not bad for a scouser .......... :lol:
Christophe C
Rank 0
Rank 0

Steel Stockholders

Post by Christophe C »

Hi Steve

I have been using Baures for the last 4 years. Normally have what I want but then I am only ever looking for standard sections: flat bar, round, tole etc.

Comes in 6 m lenghths (apart from sheet in 2x1m) but they are happy for you to take your angle grinder/hacksaw and chop up into more manageable sizes. They do deliver, if the streets around you aren't too small, as their lorries are full size. Delivery was about €25/€30 last time I had a delivery a couple of years ago. Since then I have always collected.

One of the earlier posts gives the address.

Have fun!

Christophe C
Steve&Julie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Steve&Julie »

Delivery sounds tempting.... I will check it out this Easter visit.

Thanks all

Steve
Steve&Julie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Update

Post by Steve&Julie »

Thanks all.

We eventually found Baures after we had given up. We were the wrong side of the flyover and we saw it as we were heading back home.

They have virtually all we need on the shelf, and will order the rest for our summer visit. The cost is a little less than buying from a steel stockholder in Liverpool. Delivery is 60 euros which is about the same price for hiring a van for the day. They were very helpful and patient with my poor French. All in all, a good result!
Thanks again

Steve
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Just out of interest, take a look at this - some nice work!!
http://www.smithysferronerie.com/gallery.php
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.