Duel Fuel Range cookers.

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Duel Fuel Range cookers.

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

If I bought a duel fuel range cooker in the UK, could I bring it to France? Would the jets for LPG have to be different etc? when I had one in the UK we used red bottle gas. I have looked for the cookers in France but they are so expensive.
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

The gas in the red bottles in the UK is propane. You can get propane bottles from any filling station here. So there should be no need to change jets. The fittings for the bottles are different and the bottle colours depend on the manufacturer. You will need a pressure regulator and a low pressure cut off valve in the circuit.

Russell.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

thanks Russell, that makes life a bit easier.
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

I am about to buy this cooker, can anyone see any reason why it would not work in France....thanks

http://www.marksandspencer-appliances.c ... -CM101FRCP

Just found it £100 cheaper,...so shall I order it???
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Sorry brought this back into focus, I understand from Russell, I can buy this cooker and use the bottled gas over here...have I understood Russell correctly. :? :? (not doubting you for one minute Russell)
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

russell wrote:The fittings for the bottles are different and the bottle colours depend on the manufacturer. You will need a pressure regulator and a low pressure cut off valve in the circuit.

Russell.

Do I buy this in France, if so where?
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Marguerite & Steve wrote:(not doubting you for one minute Russell)
Why not :lol:

Russell.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Marguerite & Steve wrote:Do I buy this in France, if so where?
Yes, at any reasonable bricolage shop eg., Leroy Merlin.

Pressure regulator:
You have two options. You can get a regulator to fit directly on the bottle if you are using a single bottle instalation. The (better) alternative is to use two bottles connected via flexible hoses to a changeover valve that incorporates the regulator. The bottles are normally kept out of doors in some sort of shelter.

Cut off valve:
This valve is normally situated near the cooker and enables you to shut off the gas supply when necessary. It also shuts off automatically when the pressure drops (eg., when you change over between the two bottles) and then needs to be reset manually.

I'm not sure of the regulations here (perhaps someone can verify) but the piping indoors is copper and I believe the joints are silver soldered so, unless you have access to oxy-acetylene equipment you will have to get a plumber in to do the installation.

Russell.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

thanks Russell , that info has been really helpful, I will now order my cooker.. :lol: :lol:
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

russell wrote:
Marguerite & Steve wrote:the piping indoors is copper and I believe the joints are silver soldered so, unless you have access to oxy-acetylene equipment you will have to get a plumber in to do the installation.

Russell.
Am I being thick here?

Silver solder on copper pipes?
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

opas wrote: Am I being thick here?

Silver solder, an alloy of silver, copper, zinc, and in some cases cadmium is an excellent material for producing strong, non porous joints in copper. Depending on the alloy they melt at between 600 and 850 C so require different equipment to soft (tin/lead) solder.

I am presently building a working model steam locomotive and am using silver solder to build the copper boiler. Soft solder here would be highly dangerous.

Russell.
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mrob343 »

russell wrote:
opas wrote: Am I being thick here?

Silver solder, an alloy of silver, copper, zinc, and in some cases cadmium is an excellent material for producing strong, non porous joints in copper. Depending on the alloy they melt at between 600 and 850 C so require different equipment to soft (tin/lead) solder.

I am presently building a working model steam locomotive and am using silver solder to build the copper boiler. Soft solder here would be highly dangerous.

Russell.
He's right Opas ! :)
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Ok so I was being thick! nowt new there :roll:
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

No you were not being thick! It was a fair question! If you don't know anything about soldering you couldn't be expected to know that! :D
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

opas wrote:Ok so I was being thick! nowt new there :roll:
Not at all Opas. Silver soldering isn't something that is widely used in DIY.

If you're interested there is lots of info on the subject here:
http://www.cupalloys.co.uk/

Russell.