Get rid of the Tax d'habitation

General chat about doing business in France and the PO; tax, financial, legal and insurance matters.

Moderator: Moderators

blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Get rid of the Tax d'habitation

Post by blackduff »

Here's something I found in the Connexion - September 2012.

"...Hoverer, if a property is used exclusively for short-term holiday lets, and is demonstrably fitted outfor this use, neither the tenant nor the proprietor needs to pay."

With my apartment, it would fill into this slot and I maybe get out of paying the Tax d'habitation.

BUT, I just cannot let the government allow me not to pay.

Since this article in September, nobody in the forums have sent anything about this article. Has anybody have some insight on what was written.

I bought the booklet that Connexion published and I'll read this more about the thoughts. Yet, I'm a Doubting Thomas. I'll call the tax people but they're not going to be the bottom line. It might need some pressure to allow this happen.

Any thoughts?

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

I would be very interested in the outcome of this.
John
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I was told by Pomhorn, who posts extensively on various ex-pat forums, about this law and it saved me a year's Taxe D'Habitation when I was renting. I was actually in the flat for six months, but they seemed to take the view that it was just a series of short-term lets. It went to appeal and was decided in my favour.
Shona & Ted
Rank 0
Rank 0

Taxe d'habitation

Post by Shona & Ted »

We have just been hammered for 3 years taxe d'habitation on a property that we rent out for for holiday rentals. Whilst the taxe fonciere bills were sent to our address in France, the taxe d'habitation bills were sent to a house in UK that we sold 6 years ago. I would therefore be very grateful if someone could forward me exact details of this law to enable me to launch an appeal.

Thanks,
Shona
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Shona
I'm not sure if I have the law on this tax but the information I am tracking can be found on the newspaper called Connexion. You can, on line, this newspaper at www.connexionfrance.com . Go back to the September 2012 version and you can read what I have found. You can receive further information on the "helpguide" section on the site. It might give you a idea of how to find more information about your specific problem.

Good luck,

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I think it applies if you pay the lettings tax on the property.

Sounds like Carol's was a loophole. She should have been paying tax habitation for a 6 month let, even if the contract was broken into lots of little ones.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

My wife talked with the guy at the Tax office and he didn't say No ~ He said "H*ll No". He said we have to pay this tax d'habitation.

I'll give a further post after I read the booklet I've bought. I knew this would be "wrong" but it's maybe meant in a different manner.

Blackduff