What to charge

General chat about doing business in France and the PO; tax, financial, legal and insurance matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Ray B
Rank 0
Rank 0

What to charge

Post by Ray B »

When renting, What do you expect the tennant to pick up bills wise. I.e comunity charges etc? outside the montly rental fee.

Ray :shock:
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Depends on the contract they have.

We rented for a couple of years and we paid - electricity, water, insurance (contents only) and phone.

My daughter is at Uni and rents and we pay - electricity, gas, taxe d'hab, insurance (contents only) and phone.
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: What to charge

Post by mrob343 »

Ray B wrote:When renting, What do you expect the tennant to pick up bills wise. I.e comunity charges etc? outside the montly rental fee.

Ray :shock:
Hi Ray,
Outside the monthly rent, we pay Tax d'hab, Electricity, Gas, Telephone, Contents Insurance and a yearly charge for the eboueurs (binmen) too around 30.00 €.
I still buy their calender at christmas though :)
Hope this helps :wink:
Cheers
marierose
Rank 1
Rank 1

What to charge tenants

Post by marierose »

From my experience, for short term rentals the landlord pays for all of the utilities ...etc (except perhaps long distance calls!). For medium term rentals rentals (2ish - 6 months?) the tenants would probably pay for all of their utilites, but possibly not Tax d'habitation and the landlord would keep the bills in their name. For longer term rentals, the tenants should put all of the utilities in their name and pay for tax d'habitation.
Serge

Re: What to charge

Post by Serge »

mrob343 wrote:and a yearly charge for the eboueurs (binmen) too around 30.00 €.
I still buy their calender at christmas though :)
Rob, you really are Monsieur Charitie .................. :lol:

............. any chance of a fiver?
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Well I haven't got the b***s not to buy EVERYONE's calendar!

I buy, the bin mens, the firebrigade's AND the postman's!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
:D :D :D :D
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Well only ever had the dishy Pompiers come a calling and who could refuse them?
If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: What to charge tenants

Post by john »

marierose wrote:From my experience, for short term rentals the landlord pays for all of the utilities ...etc (except perhaps long distance calls!). For medium term rentals rentals (2ish - 6 months?) the tenants would probably pay for all of their utilites, but possibly not Tax d'habitation and the landlord would keep the bills in their name. For longer term rentals, the tenants should put all of the utilities in their name and pay for tax d'habitation.
My understanding is pretty much along these lines,marierose. Indeed someone told me once that not only is it better to put all the bills for rents of 2 mths or more into the tenant's name,it's actually required by law. Whether this is true or not,I don't honestly know.

BTW, isn't the TdH and TF bill technically determined by who is actually in residence at any given property on Jan 1st?
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

[quote="john
BTW, isn't the TdH and TF bill technically determined by who is actually in residence at any given property on Jan 1st?[/quote]

we rent out through agencies and john is correct if there is no tenant on Jan 1st then the owner has to pay the TdH as well as the TF.

In our apartments which are let long term, the tenant is responsible for elctric/gas/ telephone charges, those bills being in the tenants name.

We pay the TF and insurance
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

mand wrote:[quote="john
BTW, isn't the TdH and TF bill technically determined by who is actually in residence at any given property on Jan 1st?
we rent out through agencies and john is correct if there is no tenant on Jan 1st then the owner has to pay the TdH as well as the TF.

[/quote]

I think that is the case mand. We certainly end up paying it as there is never a tenant in on Jan 1st !

For fixed charges like that,I guess the landlord just imputes them into the rent he charges,so indirectly the tenant ends up footing the bill.

The truth is that for short rents it's just not worth all the faffing about involved in switching the EdF ,FT, Veolia accounts. Last time I had to do it for EdF I was kept waiting on the phone listening to Vivaldi for 10 mins before their call centre in Delhi, or wherever, deigned to deal with me.