How can I record TV Programmes off my Satellite system

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Jo-Anne

How can I record TV Programmes off my Satellite system

Post by Jo-Anne »

I've a basic satellite box receiver and dish and would like to know how I can record programmes off it.

I have a humax digibox with a twin drive that I bought from the uk. I can't use that here apart from to see the films I'd already recorded on it.

I want to get a PVR / hard-drive that will enable me to record programmes without splashing out on Freesat / subscribing to Sky Plus.

Any suggestions??
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Is your Humax a Freeview or Freesat?
Jo-Anne

Post by Jo-Anne »

It's a freeview. Expensive, but loved it when I bought it.

I'm sure I can't use it here as it was a digibox for UK only, I think. I got scammed into buying a new aeriel,(back then) though I've since learnt the old one would have sufficed.

I'm guessing the only equivelent here is freesat but we're talking nearly 300Euros and I'd rather not spend that amount.

(Specifically If before long we'll not receive any UK channels with all the Astra changes)
Jo-Anne

Post by Jo-Anne »

Just another question.

I've been told if I suscribe to Sky in the UK I'd continue to receive channels here even with the redirection of the new Astra satellite, is this correct?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Jo-Anne wrote:Just another question.

I've been told if I suscribe to Sky in the UK I'd continue to receive channels here even with the redirection of the new Astra satellite, is this correct?
Probably, but nobody knows for sure whether Sky will adopt the UK spot beam like Itv or if they will continue as at present. A lot of people think that Sky will not want to lose all their subscribers in Europe but we won't know for sure until the new satellites are fully operational.

Jo-Anne wrote:I've a basic satellite box receiver and dish and would like to know how I can record programmes off it.

I have a humax digibox with a twin drive that I bought from the uk. I can't use that here apart from to see the films I'd already recorded on it.

I want to get a PVR / hard-drive that will enable me to record programmes without splashing out on Freesat / subscribing to Sky Plus.

Any suggestions??
I don't think the Humax will be any use to you. You don't say what sort of satellite receiver you have at present but if it has a Scart output then you might be able to record to an external hard disk recorder or even a VCR.

Freesat is probably the lowest cost option without a subscription though without a bigger dish you might end up with nothing to watch.

If you have a Sky subscription in the UK or have an obliging friend or relative with one then you could take out a multiroom subscription and get a free box.

Sky has also launched a new Internet service called Sky Go Extra that allows you to record Sky programs onto a PC or iPad, you would however need to subscribe to a VPN service like iPortal
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

you would receive the Sky channels without much problem as they should remain on a wider European beam.
(but not of course the UK FTA Channels)

the problems of reception seem to be most prominent in the area to the south of Perpignan with reception a lot better to the north.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

montgolfiere wrote:you would receive the Sky channels without much problem(but not of course the UK FTA Channels) as they should remain on a wider European beam.

the problems of reception seem to be most prominent in the area to the south of Perpignan with reception a lot better to the north.
I haven't seen anywhere where Sky has said that they will be keeping everything on the European beam - do you know that for certain?
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

I thought that all the sky channels remaining on the 1N UK spot beam would be transfered to the UK spot beam on 2E when that satellite is commissioned. 2E is nominally identical to 2F.
Of course the Arianne rocket launching it could blow up :D

Russell.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

I dont think anyone knows for certain as yet.
I understood that 2E was going to be Launched by the Russians not Arianne, but maybe they have changed their minds.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

montgolfiere wrote: I understood that 2E was going to be Launched by the Russians not Arianne, but maybe they have changed their minds.
Yes, the Proton rocket so we may have a better chance that it will blow up :D

Russell.
Jo-Anne

Post by Jo-Anne »

Thanks for all your responses. you'd think it would be simple but it's not.
I don't want to subsribe, I'm just looking for an easy option to record of Sat.

I won't go into how I can get rid of all the cables I have running through the house with the system I have.

I don't have much - TV-Sat- and 2 transmiters but it's cable city round here!!

I'd like some ideas on wireless technology, but we'll tackle that later!
CD
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CD »

Try a Humax Freesat PVR.

I've got a 1TB HD version as well as Sky+HD.

The idea was to see if we could make do with just the FTA channels on the Humax Freesat and ditch the Sky subscription, but so far there are too many channels we want to watch on Sky.

The only channel we have lost due to the new satellite (of those that we regularly watch) is C5 , so I've just moved all those recordings to C5 HD which works fine.

We never seem to watch any TV live these days apart from the Breakfast News!

Cheers,

Chris
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

CD wrote:Try a Humax Freesat PVR.
The only channel we have lost due to the new satellite (of those that we regularly watch) is C5 , so I've just moved all those recordings to C5 HD which works fine.
Cheers,

Chris
dont forget....... The other FTA/FTV channels will be moved in the Summer and reception is likely to be the same as C5 is now.
I have seen one report that this 'move' may be delayed until September.....
CD
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CD »

Hopefully, by then you will have a solution to the problem...
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

We have the solution for the North of the Department. we are just looking into the area to the south of Perpignan. Unfortunately Prades is a bit between the two and will be the next area to sort out once we have an idea of what works further south.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

You can also attach a gizmo to your computer, and record on to its internal or external hard drive, though it helps if it has a dedicated feed from the satellite - a double or quad LNB plus some cable is not expensive, and can easily be done DIY if you are careful not to knock the dish out of whack. For a mac user, I can recommend an eyetv sat free: the electronics are essentially identical to other products, but the dedicated software is excellent. I believe that equally good products are also available for pcs, and probably cheaper.

That setup works excellently at my old house in the Sene-Maritime: I had thought of replicating it down here, but I think I will wait to take stock when the new satellites settle down.
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Sat Recep in Argel`es ?

Post by rhys »

When you say reception will be different as between N and S of Perpignan - what would be your estimate regarding Argel`es [ northern part on the coast- near Re'serve du Mas Larrieu ] ?

I have a 1 metre dish.

By what date will we know the new Dispensation ??
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

if 2E has the same footprint and therefore 'Signal' as 2F it is likely at least a 1,50 or even a 1,80 Dish will be required.

The changeover is scheduled for September but the big 'uncertainty' is how long before the new signal 'Stabilises' (if ever). The Signal from 2 F has gradually declined by approx. 70% ( of its original level) since coming into service in December, and varies from day to day week to week.

This does pose us all very real concerns for the future as to making sure the New Installation uses the correct size Dish that will work into the future.
These big dishes do of course pose problems in them selves as to having to be installed at ground level, in shelter etc. There is also a question mark as to Planning Consent Requirements etc. etc.

Please look at my website www.british-tv-in-france.co.uk, where i update info etc. as the situation developes.