2 F new low level average signal.

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Anyway, back to the subject of this thread!!!

The Signal is still well down on previous levels and does not seem like it will recover... This is extremely bad news for the PO and it does look like Very Large Dishes will be the only way forward for Satellite TV, thus my own research now into the various other options!!!
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Finally the Signal has gone up a bit... up 8% on Yesterday....
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

signal still creeping up... all 2F channels on at 08.30 on a Gilbertini 100 Dish Chez- Moi
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Well...the signal has jumped up 15 % today.....i wonder how long this will last this time!!!
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

We have lost all the ITV channels tonight. Is there anyone else who is having the same problem?
Dylan
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

I seem to have lost ITV yorkshire
But the ITV on 973 seems to be working. I have a problem with my computer as well but luckily my boys tablet is working!!
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

Nr Thuir,we also have lost ITV, not that there is much on tonight but that's not the point!!!!!!
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

We have lost all ITV programmes and also cant get Filmon on either my laptop or my husband's netbook.
Dylan
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Filmon is working for me on a Tablet and i ihave itv playing....also itv1 London is OK
i did have a problem with the internet/email for over an hour earlier.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Picking up ITV on 973.
Dylan
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Just checked and Filmon fine now.
Dylan
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

So it seems like just some regions of ITV are having a problem. i will post more info tomorrow as i get it.
Satbloke66
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Satbloke66 »

It's the same in the UK, probably a power outage at the uplink, should be back soon
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

how to get UK tv after this summer

Post by rhys »

Sticking to the original topic : I am not sure internet access will be a good way to get uk tv in future ......

I have used it ( with a vpn thingy ) a couple of years ago in the Caribbean. It did work well enough to be able to watch some programmes..... however certainly not as well as sat tv has worked for me in Argel"es up to now.

Not personally technically qualified but I wd have thought that there could be problems with line capacity if hundreds of thousands of people start using it as their mechanism for watching tv.

Insofar as the vpn route requires the BBC et al computers to not "realize"
that the computer connecting is physically outside the UK, I wd have imagined that it is a matter of time for the software ppl to devise programs which do detect the real location of connectors ?

In my case ( all sat tv stopped working completely overnight a couple of weeks ago but unclear yet whether this could be strong winds moving the dish slightly ? ) I am hoping for a satellite based solution, as nearest telegraph pole is several hundred metres away, and I don°t fancy cost of
bringing line near to chez moi.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

There was a short break in ITV Reception the other night, but you should be able to receive all channels at the moment (apart from of course the channels that have already been transferred).

IPTV and watching the UK Catch Type services and Filmon are not the same animal.
The IPTV system i am reccomending has a set top Box and Remote control and changing channels is straightforward and it has a 14 day catch up service. (But of course there is a subscription)

I have been testing the ukexpattv system for quite a while now and it is a quite satisfactory replacment to the previous Satellite System. It does work on a 1,2 mb connection and where i am in a small village with only a 2 mb connection i haven't had any speed issues. The French are busy switching to their own TV Via the Interenet services so i dont imagine the number of Expats switching to a Internet based TV system will cause great problems.

There should be a Satellite Solution but this is likely to involve 150cm/180cm (Good Quality) Dishes (in the Argeles area) which can only be Ground Mounted in FULL Shelter from the Wind ( Cheap 'Big Dishes' are likely to have a lot of stability issues with the high winds we suffer in the Region and do note no Dishes above 90 cm can be hung from Chimneys or be mounted up on Roofs etc).

Unfortunately this is likely to rule out a good number of Properties (without a suitable Space.) If you have a suitable location then you should probably be OK in the future.
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

Rather than pay for a subscription service are there good reasons for not having one of these?

http://bit.ly/132U1dL
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

These types of Devices will suit some people, as will using Filmon, Catch up, Streaming and connecting up Tablets, ipads, Computers etc.
Satbloke66
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Satbloke66 »

Get your self a second hand PS3 - does the same thing but is also a top quality 3D Bluray player, a media center for movies, photos and music - oh, and it's also a games machine.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Satbloke66 wrote:Get your self a second hand PS3 - does the same thing but is also a top quality 3D Bluray player, a media center for movies, photos and music - oh, and it's also a games machine.
I've got both and the PS3 is a very poor alternative.

As a media centre, Sony has implemented digital rights management which prevents a lot of downloaded movies from playing.

If you have one already then fine but I wouldn't spend money on one - unless you want to play games
Satbloke66
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Satbloke66 »

Allan wrote:
Satbloke66 wrote:Get your self a second hand PS3 - does the same thing but is also a top quality 3D Bluray player, a media center for movies, photos and music - oh, and it's also a games machine.

As a media centre, Sony has implemented digital rights management which prevents a lot of downloaded movies from playing.

If you have one already then fine but I wouldn't spend money on one - unless you want to play games
That depends entirely on where you get the movies from. You have also ignored the Bluray player and media streaming from a PC via PS3server. But you knew that, didn't you?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

montgolfiere wrote: IPTV and watching the UK Catch Type services and Filmon are not the same animal.
They are exactly the same animal, IPTV is simply TV over the internet, indeed Filmon is a major supplier to branded IPTV services like but not including UKEXPATTV. Set top boxes with remote controls are in widespread use
montgolfiere wrote: The IPTV system i am reccomending has a set top Box and Remote control and changing channels is straightforward and it has a 14 day catch up service. (But of course there is a subscription)
I am not decrying UKEXPATTV but I haven't found a single review of it that wasn't written by someone selling it.

Unless UKEXPATTV have rewritten the laws of physics and data compression then only a low definition picture will be available at 1.2MB
rhys wrote: Not personally technically qualified but I wd have thought that there could be problems with line capacity if hundreds of thousands of people start using it as their mechanism for watching tv.
Absolutely right, this is a major concern to service providers, not so much scheduled broadcasts which use a unicast system that people simply tap into, but catch-up TV and video on demand take up substantial bandwidth. fortunately service providers are continually upgrading their networks.
rhys wrote: Insofar as the vpn route requires the BBC et al computers to not "realize"
that the computer connecting is physically outside the UK, I wd have imagined that it is a matter of time for the software ppl to devise programs which do detect the real location of connectors ?
They already have, but they appear to have opted not to use them. The exception is CatchUpTV that takes rigorous steps to block VPN and proxy access.
montgolfiere wrote: There should be a Satellite Solution but this is likely to involve 150cm/180cm (Good Quality) Dishes (in the Argeles area) which can only be Ground Mounted in FULL Shelter from the Wind ( Cheap 'Big Dishes' are likely to have a lot of stability issues with the high winds we suffer in the Region and do note no Dishes above 90 cm can be hung from Chimneys or be mounted up on Roofs etc).

Unfortunately this is likely to rule out a good number of Properties (without a suitable Space.) If you have a suitable location then you should probably be OK in the future.
Rather than guessing at dish sizes it would be nice if satellite installers took a dish and a tripod to various locations and actually tested what reception is like.

Whereas the effect of the wind should not be under-estimated, it shouldn't be the defining factor. To receive UK satellite the dish needs to be facing a bit east of south so logically most sites would have a building between the dish and the North Westerly winds that prevail in the area.
Most dishes are rated to work in 60mph winds and survive winds of 100mph.
Studies show that in areas with buildings, the winds at ground level are reduced by around 20% and if there are a lot of trees around then the reduction can be up to 70%. On that basis if a dish is of decent quality and properly installed then there shouldn't be a problem.

There are plenty of regions in North Africa that have strong winds but they still have satellite dishes
Satbloke66 wrote:
Allan wrote:

That depends entirely on where you get the movies from. You have also ignored the Bluray player and media streaming from a PC via PS3server. But you knew that, didn't you?
That's a fair point about the Bluray player but the G-Box like most other media players does streaming from PCs As far as I know, the PS3 doesn't have a VPN client which doesn't make connection easy, but I agree it is a workable solution
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

I have 3 ukexpattv systems already installed and these Clients so far seem satisfied with their performance.

I can assure you all that we are working on all and any solutions, Satellite, IPTV, Catch Up Streaming via Computer, Laptop,ipad TAblet , Android Box Linux Box... Free, VPN, DNS or with Subscription etc... etc. etc.and these will form a choice for everone come September, so we hope that there will be a solution for everyone.

I wish things were different and we could all continue as we did before (including my ability to actually do some work and earn some money)....but at least UK TV will continue to be receivable by some means or other (Satellite Streaming or Subscription) in the Future for everyone with at least access to ADSL.

At least Some of 'Us Satellite Installers' have got test dishes around the region and are not GUESSING Dish Sizes.. The main problem is that the 2F signal has been very unstable (and reducing) since 2F was launched and as yet we do not have 2E up and running to actually do any testing against.
(If the Signal was STABLE, then running around the area for a week testing anywhere and everywhere would be useful.)

ukexpattv is provided from their own servers to their own STB's so is a different system to the likes of Filmon iplayer etc. (The low Bandwidth required (1,2mb) is important for many people in this region who have a connection with a max speed of 2mb.

It is true that Dishes by pointing to the SE are usually sheltered from the NW Winds. However we do have significant winds from the south east (eg this winter where 'le Marin' was measured at 146km/hr at the coast). and as the Dish need to have a clear view in this SE direction, shelter from such damaging winds is a concern with large Dishes.

and in fact in certain cases buildings etc can 'Funnel' winds even increasing local speeds!!

It is for this reason myself and my Colleague are reccomending using only top quality equipment: Dishes, Brackets, Poles etc.

No one can actually know what size Dish will be required for 2E but my own 'odds' are 50% it will be the same as 2F, 25% it will be better and 25% it will be worse. So the wait and see approach is to my mind still the best option.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

I have posted a european low level wind speed map on Rob's Satellite TV Site....

http://robssatellitetv.webs.com/apps/ph ... d=14858522

It show what we are up against here!!!

(i couldn't work out if i could post it direct on this Forum) !!!
Satbloke66
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Satbloke66 »

Allan wrote:That's a fair point about the Bluray player but the G-Box like most other media players does streaming from PCs As far as I know, the PS3 doesn't have a VPN client which doesn't make connection easy, but I agree it is a workable solution
PS3's have a manual DNS server setting so they easily circumvent geo-restrictions, BBCiPlayer etc work fine, as does Love Film. It also has a reasonable internet browser.