Can't make our landline work.....

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Phipplebert

Can't make our landline work.....

Post by Phipplebert »

We bought a phone at a vide for our new house; plugged it in and it didn't work, so presumed it was a duff purchase.
Went and bought one from a shop and that doesn't work either; it has a display/power but no dialling tone and when we call the number 'Free' assigned to us nothing happens and with no dialling tone we can't call out.
However the wifi works through the broadband off of the same plug, so it's not the cabeling or plug.
We have tried plugging it in directly to the phone line in the wall and also through the freebox.....
.....still nothing.
What am I doing wrong?
Satbloke66
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Can't make our landline work.....

Post by Satbloke66 »

Phipplebert wrote:We bought a phone at a vide for our new house; plugged it in and it didn't work, so presumed it was a duff purchase.
Went and bought one from a shop and that doesn't work either; it has a display/power but no dialling tone and when we call the number 'Free' assigned to us nothing happens and with no dialling tone we can't call out.
However the wifi works through the broadband off of the same plug, so it's not the cabeling or plug.
We have tried plugging it in directly to the phone line in the wall and also through the freebox.....
.....still nothing.
What am I doing wrong?
Are you degrouper or do you still pay France Telecom as well?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

What does the number begin with? If it is 09 then you need to plug your phone into the Freebox, not the phone socket.

You might find this article useful

http://www.free.fr/assistance/en/584-fr ... one-1.html
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Try typing 192.168.1.1/ into your browser's address box. That should get you to the set-up pages for the Freebox (at least it works with most routers). There should be a status page there that tells you if the telephone line is enabled and working.

Russell.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

russell wrote:Try typing 192.168.1.1/ into your browser's address box. That should get you to the set-up pages for the Freebox (at least it works with most routers). There should be a status page there that tells you if the telephone line is enabled and working.

Russell.
Not on a Freebox Russell, all the admin is done on the web.

As I understand it the Freebox converts your plugged in phone into an iP phone so it has to go into the router, not the phone socket.

I see from an earlier post that 'John and Elaine' have a Freebox, perhaps they could confirm what plugs in where?
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

non working phone

Post by monsans »

Per chance did you use the right type of batteries i.e. perhaps rechargeable ones??
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

Wahoo - it works!

I think I was doing the most stupid thing (which I should know!!!!!!!!!!) of plugging it in and not turning the box off and then allowing it to recognise it had a new thing plugged in.

Thank you for all the advice. I followed the online instructions you gave me again, so it could have been that too, maybe a wire was the wrong way around.

It definately wasn't the batteries as I could call handset to handset but not to another phone using the line.

Thanks for all your suggestions and HURRAH :)