dual sim mobile phone

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

dual sim mobile phone

Post by sue and paul »

It's not like me to ask a geeky question, but here goes.

I currently have 2 mobile phones, both ancient and with different chargers. One is for a UK Orange PAYG, the other is for a Leclerc PAYG. I don't want to change to other accounts, but would like both sims in one unlocked phone, and so just one charger. No need for internet, but want a camera included. I've vaguely looked at the Samsung phones, but don't know how to choose. I should add that I only use them occasionally, when travelling, or in emergency

Any advice welcome
Sue
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: dual sim mobile phone

Post by Allan »

sue and paul wrote:It's not like me to ask a geeky question, but here goes.

I currently have 2 mobile phones, both ancient and with different chargers. One is for a UK Orange PAYG, the other is for a Leclerc PAYG. I don't want to change to other accounts, but would like both sims in one unlocked phone, and so just one charger. No need for internet, but want a camera included. I've vaguely looked at the Samsung phones, but don't know how to choose. I should add that I only use them occasionally, when travelling, or in emergency

Any advice welcome
Sue
Perhaps you should explain a bit more about what you are trying to achieve. Dual sim phones let you have 2 sims present in the phone at the same time. Generally you chose which one you want to be active, so if your leclerc sim is active, you won't be able to receive calls on the orange number and vice versa. Some phones get around this by diverting one number to the other but most PAYG services don't support call divert.

What you would achieve is like having 1 phone and 2 SIM cards and simply inserting the card you want to use. Dual sim phones make this change electronically.

Remember that phones bought without a contact are generally expensive.

There is a company called Magicsim that offers a lot of solutions for existing phones. http://www.magic-sim.com

Presumably you only use the English sim when you go to England, so why not just switch sims when you go there.
Pighunter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Pighunter »

I bought a Wiko Slim (French) which cost 159 euros with no contract, has mail, internet etc and allows you to choose which Sim you wish to use whilst keeping both active at the same time. It also tells you when you are roaming which is useful as often I get a Spanish signal here.

Good bit of kit and there are cheaper versions if you don't want e-mail etc, the first one I got was 59 euros but didn't do e-mail which I need.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Pighunter wrote:I bought a Wiko Slim (French) which cost 159 euros with no contract, has mail, internet etc and allows you to choose which Sim you wish to use whilst keeping both active at the same time. It also tells you when you are roaming which is useful as often I get a Spanish signal here.

Good bit of kit and there are cheaper versions if you don't want e-mail etc, the first one I got was 59 euros but didn't do e-mail which I need.
What do you mean by keeping both active at the same time?

If you have selected to use one sim then in what way is the other active? Other than being available to switch to.
Pighunter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Pighunter »

Both sims are active and when you make a call it asks you which one you want to use. Otherwise they both receive calls each with its own ring.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Thanks. Yes, I had understood that some have both sims active at the same time, so that I would be able to receive calls from either one as they came in. I don't need internet facility, but would like a camera built in
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Not expensive, could even be second hand.

Dual sim phone - readily understood search criteria. Many people have say a work sim and home sim in one phone. e.g

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat ... era&_rdc=1
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Thanks John. That looks the business. I hadn't thought of ebay, even though I do buy through them from time to time.
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

I've also been looking at dual sim phones and wondered if you'd got any further since asking about them back in June?

I'd never even of them 'til recently, but research says they are on the 'up'.

I thought the functionality on this one sounded just what I needed
http://shop.emea.htc.com/uk/p_htc_store ... x?i=254234
and then saw the price of it!

But am curious to know if you got any further?
Ariègeoise
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ariègeoise »

I have an Acer Liquid Z3 dual sim - it's supposed to be 'entry level', though many of its functions still baffle me :shock: . Cost around 70€ a few months ago. I got it because it has EAP-SIM functionality, which means I can use Free Mobile's free wifi-via-sim card facility, and I'm happy with it. But my needs are simple ... :lol:
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Ariegeoise, having got a dual-sim phone, do you think it's definitely worth having?

In a couple of months I'm likely to be splitting time between the UK and France - much more so than I have in the past. The thought of carrying two phones around, or switching between French and UK sims, feels like a bit of a pain.
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

This one does the trick

Very cheap ...about 50€ when I bought one a couple of months ago

http://world.wikomobile.com/m88-OZZY
Ariègeoise
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ariègeoise »

Helen - well, sort of! It's useful in that I can stick in either a Spanish or UK sim (though in practice I spend an average of 48 hours per year in the UK!), but I mainly use it with 2 different French sims as the one that gives me any coverage here in the Ariège gives me none in Villelongue, and vice-versa :roll: (I have the Free 2€ a month plan plus Leclerc mobile's Mini+).

If you're splitting time between France and UK I'd say it's a must if you don't want to carry 2 phones.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

I bought my Samsung Grand Galaxy Duos dual sim smartphone on ebay about a year ago following my initial post on here. I should have reported back I guess. Anyway, here goes. One sim is UK Orange PAYG, the other is Leclerc midi réglomobile (think it's called that), also PAYG. I have no idea about comparative costs, and I'm not too bothered, as I only use the phone and text messaging when I don't have wifi for Skype, or whatsapp, email or whatever messaging is available. There is a small space for a memory card inside and my son put 8Mb extra memory in it for me. The camera part (forward and rear facing) is superb, and with Dropbox I can share/receive all family photos, post photos for small ads on e.g. le bon coin/donnons with just a couple of clicks. I'm more than happy with it. It really reduces the clutter of phones/camera/Macbook/chargers/cables etc when travelling
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Sorry in advance for what are going to be basic questions - but trying to get my head round how this might work.....

Presumably both sims are active at the same time - so when you get an incoming call, are you able to differentiate which sim you're receiving it on?

And when you make an outgoing call/ text or use the browser - how do you choose which sim/number to use?
Ariègeoise
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ariègeoise »

Helen, yes, both Sims are active at the same time - if you want them to be (you can choose under Sim Management or whatever your phone's equivalant setting is). Your phone will take calls on either so long as they're active and will tell you on which Sim a call is coming in; similarly, when you make a call it will ask you which Sim you want to use. You can usually set one as default. It's all an extra click or two and I'm lazy, so I usually disactivate a Sim that isn't relevant!
Maximus
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Maximus »

nice vid here to explain the Dual sims in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYht0P_0H4w

I just picked up a very nice unlocked dual sim chinese 5" smartphone from Amazon.fr for 80E - brilliant value
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Thanks everyone - you helped me decide to get a dual sim phone: a Moto G is on its way (which various people have told me is a great android phone).

So the decision now is which providers to go with. Three seems very tempting because of its policy on international calls, but I might have go with o2 for complicated reasons.
Brian
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Brian »

May not be of any use to anybody, but we bought dual sim Nokia for approx. 39 euros from Leclerc recently, admittedly only use one sim, the original contract Orange.