Orange France Broadband Speed (Or lack of it)

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Orange France Broadband Speed (Or lack of it)

Post by Smiley G »

We're supposed to get a 2mbps download speed with our contract but this hardly ever happens.
I've just done a speed test and here are the results;
Download 1.04mbps
Upload 0.59 mbps
I rang up the Orange Helpline but they're all busy and could not take the call.
Our LiveBox Zen contract expires in September. Whilst I know that France Telecom/Orange own the infrastructure, can SFR or another provider deliver a better service in terms of broadband speed?
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Satbloke66
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Orange France Broadband Speed (Or lack of it)

Post by Satbloke66 »

Smiley G wrote:We're supposed to get a 2mbps download speed with our contract but this hardly ever happens.
I've just done a speed test and here are the results;
Download 1.04mbps
Upload 0.59 mbps
I rang up the Orange Helpline but they're all busy and could not take the call.
Our LiveBox Zen contract expires in September. Whilst I know that France Telecom/Orange own the infrastructure, can SFR or another provider deliver a better service in terms of broadband speed?
Aaah.. the magic words are "up to"
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

What do your neighbours get?
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Your line speed is normally determined by the quality and length of the line between you and the exchange. This isn't going to change unless a different provider installs a new line. Orange's system changes your livebox characteristics to match what they believe are the characteristics of your line - not always correctly.

Try connecting to 192.168.1.1 with a username of admin and a password of admin. The livebox Zen may be slightly different to my livebox but try looking at the settings page, it should tell you the maximum up speed and down speed that their system thinks your line is capable of.

Also look at the noise margins, if they are more than 6 then your speed may be artificially slower than it should be.

If the maximum speeds are different from your readings then try with Orange's speed test.

The English speaking helpline of Orange is very good.

If you are just using Internet, consider their Service Découvert , it is much cheaper and has no contract, it has a maximum of 8mb but that isn't a limitation if you can't get that much anyway

If you are not sure how to read the system info, drop me a pm with an email address and I'll send a better explanation
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Smiley
I supposed to have "up to" 20 mg. In reality though, I'm lucky to get 5~6 mg.

I test on this program.

www.speedtest.net

The four computers chez nous vary, allow this is on the same livebox. This is usually faster than the newer computers and the oldest are also the slowest.

Remember, you have purchased for the slowest internet speed you bought. If you need more, take a upgrade and ask for up to 20 mg. This you gives a lot of information downloaded if you're getting 5/6 mg.

Living in Argeles, you should see many variations of the speeds in that village. In the beginning, I've seen SFR smoking with their internet but now it's about the same as my Orange. Free.fr is about the same speed but I find this is "broken" often.

How about your computer itself. Is this run from wi-fi and if so, how far is this from your Livebox. If you're using a laptop at the back part of your house, it might be part of the problem. Remember, you might be causing the shortage of your speeds~make sure you don't have things you're making slow youself.

Good luck, Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Smiley
I looked at Orange again, and I don't see how you're buying only 2 mg. With the Livebox Zen, you should be getting "up to" 20 mg.

Confused?

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

blackduff wrote:Smiley
I looked at Orange again, and I don't see how you're buying only 2 mg. With the Livebox Zen, you should be getting "up to" 20 mg.

Confused?

Blackduff
Some earlier contracts were for 2MB - I used to have one until I switched to decouverte
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

All,
Orange have got me back up to 1.98Mbps (they confirmed that 2Mbps IS the maximum I can have)
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Smiley G wrote:All,
Orange have got me back up to 1.98Mbps (they confirmed that 2Mbps IS the maximum I can have)
Keep an eye on it on the livebox; if the line is flaky it will slow down again

I used to have a 2MB contract but I switched to DeCouverte as it is cheaper and has no contractual term, nothing changes with regard to speed.

A few months ago I put in Satellite broadband as well as Orange, that's brilliant for downloads and on-line TV but not for VOIP phones or RDP
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

There is an official database which contains the characteristics of the line (so far from the exchange, on wires such-and-such thick). If you interrogate eg ariase.com, it will tell you how slow your line is, and whether anyone else is offering any faster service (they don't). The estimated speeds are, undestandably, on the optimistic side : yours will be slower (or in my case, elsewhere in France, non-viable) if the lines have, eg, ever needed to be repaired, so losing a bit of signal at the joins.
baristaa

Post by baristaa »

What is Broadband internet access? This question is for my business homework and I have been trying to research a detailed definition of what broadband internet access means but so far there hasn't been any. I would also be very grateful if you could put the advantages and disadvantages of broadband internet access! Thanks.