Anyone running Windows XP Professional?

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Anyone running Windows XP Professional?

Post by malcolmcooper »

Hi, I upgraded to Windows 7 a few months ago. Before doing so I used the backup utility in XP Pro more than once so I have a couple of zipped backup folders on an external hard drive. (uncommonly sensible of me huh!)

I tried to restore a backup from my shiny new Windows 7 but guess what, the backups aren't compatible with Windows 7 and can only be restored with Windows XP Professional (it has to be this version).

I'm trying to find someone who has XP Pro still who wouldn't mind plugging in my drive and running the restore routine on it. General files aren't an issue but I've got a lot of photographs locked away that I can't get at. Any help much appreciated.
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
Satbloke66
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Satbloke66 »

malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

Thanks, that cracked it.
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
Satbloke66
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Satbloke66 »

malcolmcooper wrote:Thanks, that cracked it.
:)
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Why do Microsoft have to make things so **** difficult?

I use LuckyBackup http://luckybackup.sourceforge.net/download.html
It works on Windows, Linux, and Mac with no problems. I have it set up to automatically backup any files that have changed on switch on.

If you just want to archive picture files in .jpg format they are already compressed so zipping them will gain very little. Just copy or move them to the external drive.

Russell.