IP camera and Neufbox

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Wolfpeltz
Rank 1
Rank 1

IP camera and Neufbox

Post by Wolfpeltz »

I have set up these ip (Foscam) cameras in England quite easily, and can access on the internet. I am struggling here with the settings on my Neufbox. I can set the cameras up on the LAN, but they are just not interested in the internet/wi-fi. I have a French terminology and technical block here. Could anyone who has already installed please take me through the Neufbox router settings? Thank you. Derek
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

I don't have a NeufBox but the basic principles are the same, you have to set your camera up with a fixed IP address on your LAN and then set the router up with port forwarding so that when you access the camera externally your router knows how to contact the camera.

I believe SFR/NeufBox uses dynamic iP addressing so if that's the case you will need to register with a dynamic DNS service and then configure the router with the details.

A guide in French can be found here http://webcamera-ip.com/actualite-sfr/n ... et-dyndns/

For an English guide to port forwarding just google ' NeufBox port forwarding'
Wolfpeltz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wolfpeltz »

Hi Allan. thanks for your reply. I actually managed all that in the UK and tried to apply the same principles here, using port 88, and then trying 8085 as suggested on a Youtube guide. It didn't make any difference, so I can't say that was the problem. I have free DDNS with Foscam, but the router will not let me set it, offering me a restricted choice of DDNS.com and no-ip.com, and 3 others, all subscription services. Possibly a kickback to sfr? There must be some niggling little thing I am not doing, and to someone it will probably be so obvious.

The cameras work fine on cable LAN, but I discovered that the router will not let me see them with my laptop on wireless. That is a multiple use of the ports by different resources, according to one source. However, if I use the Foscam app on my mobile phone, I can see them providing the cameras are wired to the router.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Derek
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

A genuinely naive question. If the cameras were working remotely, what would you do with them?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote:A genuinely naive question. If the cameras were working remotely, what would you do with them?
I can't speak for Wolfpeltz but last week while on holiday, I had a phone call at 3:00 am from my alarm company telling me that the alarm had gone off. I then had an anxious wait while they sent a security guard to check the premises.

Had I had cameras I would have been able to check the house remotely and at least see if there were any obvious signs of theft, or even intruders on the premises.

Many people with holiday homes put cameras in so that they can be checked on remotely.

Depending o the software you can record movement around the house like any other CCTV camera
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

I have a free Dynamic DNS account with changeip.com. It works fine on the Neufbox for my mini web server. I haven't tried it with a Foscam camera but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Russell.
Wolfpeltz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wolfpeltz »

Thanks everyone for your help.

Martyn, I think Allan gave the answer I would. We are now spending longer down here, and I really felt I needed the extra security. after our last visit and before some of the family arrived, a bucket full of large stones were thrown in the liner pool. Neighbours didn't see anything, but kids were caught trying to climb the fence, seen by the family. It was reported to the police who would not accept a formal complaint without evidence. No damage done, but annoying. Next time could be worse.

I don't mind hard wiring the cameras if all else fails. I just need to be sure I can see from England.

I downloaded 'Simple Port Forwarding', but that did not work as the message from the router was 'Access denied' despite the user/password being correct, and the router navigation page showing.

Thanks Russell, I will try that one tomorrow. I am not sure if it is on the pre-loaded list, but it sounds familiar. I think the problem is with the router settings and not the camera.

Regards to all,

Derek
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

You don't need to have dynamic DNS to test it just browse to whatismyipaddress.com and it will tell you what your current IP address is.

You say you can connect to the camera using your phone, is the phone connected to your router using wifi?
Wolfpeltz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wolfpeltz »

I have the ip addresses of the router, camera and laptop. The default port for the camera is 88.

The camera works when cabled to the router and is accessible by phone app using the router. It is also accessible when a LAN cable is used to the laptop.

The camera does not work when the cable to it is disconnected either by phone app, or laptop with LAN connection.

The camera does not work even when cabled and wifi access is used by the laptop. The laptop can access the internet. This latter aspect is not a major concern at the moment as, according to tech forums, the router may have problems sharing a resource (?????)

Derek
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Wolfpeltz wrote:I have the ip addresses of the router, camera and laptop. The default port for the camera is 88.

The camera works when cabled to the router and is accessible by phone app using the router. It is also accessible when a LAN cable is used to the laptop.

The camera does not work when the cable to it is disconnected either by phone app, or laptop with LAN connection.

The camera does not work even when cabled and wifi access is used by the laptop. The laptop can access the internet. This latter aspect is not a major concern at the moment as, according to tech forums, the router may have problems sharing a resource (?????)

Derek
I presume that you have set the camera up with a fixed iP address, have you checked that it is out of the DHCP scope of the router?

The situation you describe could occur if the laptop and camera were on the same iP address