The Swallows are late arriving this year

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

The Swallows are late arriving this year

Post by Smiley G »

Has anyone seen any Swallows/Martins (Hirondelles) this year? They're normally flying around nest-building by now.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
rainbow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rainbow »

There's a pair in Thuir seen them today 21st March
Best Wishes
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

They usually arrive to nest in our porch around April.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Kate wrote:They usually arrive to nest in our porch around April.
They nested in my bedroom a couple of years ago (I was away, and hadn't shut the window properly) and I didn't have the heart to evict them. I moved to the spare room and spread some plastic on the floor. Well worth it to keep them around. I only wish that my bats would come back.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

martyn94 wrote:
They nested in my bedroom a couple of years ago (I was away, and hadn't shut the window properly) and I didn't have the heart to evict them. I moved to the spare room and spread some plastic on the floor. Well worth it to keep them around. I only wish that my bats would come back.
That's really sweet, saving the swallows. As for bats.....well....mine never left :lol:
Lesley McL
Rank 0
Rank 0

Swallows and Martins

Post by Lesley McL »

Saw my first swallow of the year yesterday, along with house and crag martins - just flying through I think. Are they especially late? I wouldn't expect to see many before April.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

saw one yesterday...
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

sue and paul wrote:
martyn94 wrote:
That's really sweet, saving the swallows. As for bats.....well....mine never left :lol:
I'm not in general sweet: I just couldn't see myself destroying a nest with eggs in it. Just as well: a little subsequent googling shows that I would have been exposed to a large fine or 6 months in jug. And also that house martins are "hirondelles de fenêtre", which is rather nice.

I am no kind of birder, but they have given me enormous pleasure over decades. But the little bastards have a dozen other nesting sites around my house, so I don't feel at all guilty about getting my bedroom back.