CANICULE

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

CANICULE

Post by Gus Morris »

There seems to be no end in sight! Some of us will remember roasting gently in 2003 and 2006

How are people coping this time around? Is this a new experience? Any tips?

Gus
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Or 1976.

Drink lots of water and look out for your neighbours. My local Intermarché still has some bottled water. which is strange: the arrival of holidaymakers wanting to stock up on eg khazi paper at this time of year perennially takes them by surprise.

My sister’s (very game) upstairs neighbour in Paris was getting too frail to live independently (on the fourth floor with no lift) and had her name down in 2003 for a place in an EHPAD. The waiting list suddenly disappeared.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I’m finding it hotter than 2003.....but maybe it’s because I’m older!
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

It's been a roller-coaster ride for anybody who drove down here last weekend for the summer break. They travelled in the middle of a full on heat wave. Since then there have been two storms with the risk of hail stones, localised flooding and some loss of life. Especially worrying for anybody on a campsite. With a hoax bomb alert at Argeles thrown in for good measure!

On top of all this there has been a rise in bathing incidents. Fatal and non-fatal.

The temperature range for the past week, as recorded on our patio, was 21.1 to 37 degrees C.

Quite a summer. And it's not over yet!

Gus
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

“It’s being so cheerful that keeps me goingâ€￾, as Mona Lott said on ITMA.

Blimey. It's that man again. For once he merits a response.

Every day is illuminated by a thousand and one little pleasures. In the warm days of summer and autumn we are drawn to the beach. We chat to our friends, watch the visitors come and go. See the smiling faces of the children. Soak up the wonderful atmosphere created when people are enjoying themselves.

At other times we have the joy of having this wonderful corner of France almost to ourselves. One of those special places where the mountains and the sea exist cheek by jowl. Surrounded by the vestiges of a rich history stretching back over thousands of years. A mild climate with an abundance of sunshine.

Here we can swim in the sea most of the year. A mask and snorkel and a whole new world waits to be explored. Majestic mountains within easy reach. All sorts of winter sports opportunities. Or just laze about in an outdoor thermal bath.

Three major airports within easy reach for when we want to travel and see the world.

What more can we ask?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Snap.

Du jamais lu.