Secret Calls or non disclosed

A place for new members to say a quick hello and introduce themselves.

Moderator: Moderators

Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Secret Calls or non disclosed

Post by Daphne »

We are being driven crazy since the beg of Jan with these calls which start as early as 8am! I am even receiving at least one call a day on my mobile and the only people who have this no are our sons, one friend and Orange! Since 2pm today we have had 9 calls which I normally ignore ( don't see the point of paying Télécom the small fee to ask for the caller to show identity as anybody I choose to speak to wouldn't have their call secret!) I ran out of patience this evening and told the caller in no uncertain terms to leave us alone! Awaiting the ring on the bell to cart me off to a physicatric hospital (which is where I'll end up if I don't find a solution to these nuisances)!!!!!!!!
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hi Daphne,
There is a no you can ring to block nuisance calls. I will have a root round in the past PO Lives tomorrow and see if I can find it for you. Can't remember where I've saved it :oops:
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

Thanks Kate, I would be very grateful!
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I think you found them before Kate. High Tech Geek - Nuisance Calls. Think at the end of the day people said it didnt work. If you are with Orange Daphne they offer this service, at a cost of course! Just dont answer them they will soon get fed up or pick up receiver and just put it to one side and let them talk to themselves for 5 mins!!
Dylan
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Here's a fairly recent discussion, along with the number which I obviously found, before I lost it again! :lol:
http://forum.anglophone-direct.com/seto ... phone.html
Not sounding very positive I'm afraid!
Bon courage
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Excellent!
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

Obvious question. Where do the calls come from, what do they want and what language do they use?

Merisin
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

Thanks to everybody offering advice but Nigel your advice really made me laugh instead of being so angry! At the end of the day, I know that with the job situation as it is that people are taking on these kind of jobs where they can work from home and often only on a commision basis but they are so frustrating. Merisin in answer to your question they are often from EDF/GDF to reduce your electricity bills, insurance companies trying to offer a better deal on your mutuelle they are the most common and then the calls where there doesn't seem to be anybody at the other end, they are just silent calls. The ones who do speak are always in French and it's no good pretending you don't speak French as they will then try to bombard you in their pigeon English!
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I politely say "Non merci" and put the phone down.
Dylan
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I just say non, not so politely

:lol:

Bizarrely enough, I have just had a phone call from RSI, telling me I owe them 45€......I questioned why and was just told it was for my cotisations! I have just had my paperwork for my trimestral payments , so found this call a bit strange, I have never in 4 years ever had a call from them. I have told her to put it in writing.
Anyone else had a call from them?
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Daphne wrote:Merisin in answer to your question they are often from EDF/GDF to reduce your electricity bills,
I've never had a cold call from EDF and I doubt that they have an interest in reducing your bills. I have had lots from "partners" of EDF who want to do an energy survey so that they can then offer to sell you solar panels or double glazing! They only have one overriding reason to call and that is to relieve you of money!

Russell.
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

Russell you are right but initially they try by introducing themselves as representing EDF. I know what they are trying to sell but you can have as many as 4 in one day trying to sell the same product!
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Its always around 12 20/30 or 5 20/30. I wonder why!!
:o
Dylan
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

Merisin wrote:Obvious question. Where do the calls come from, what do they want and what language do they use?

Merisin
As we're in France the language they use is French. What do they want? To sell you something.
Where do they come from? What does it matter? We don't pay for the call :roll:
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

Robert Ferrieux wrote:
Merisin wrote:Obvious question. Where do the calls come from, what do they want and what language do they use?

Merisin
As we're in France the language they use is French. What do they want? To sell you something.
Where do they come from? What does it matter? We don't pay for the call :roll:
Nuisance calls, in English, aimed at English speakers, are a fact of life.

The nature of an unsolicited call helps determine the action required. There's a big difference (for example) between cold call selling, personal abuse and calls resulting from identity theft. All of which require specific responses.

Mary (with a bit of help from my OH)
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

Like Sue and Opas, just say "Non merci".....or just "Non".. Te rest really isn't important.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

LOL

I had a call about 10 mins ago, i thought it was my youngest wanting a lift from the train station.......`bonjour , blah blah blah...`..basically, a call from orange asking to speak with the bill payer, so I shouted the man of the house, telling him who it was. His reply, was that we have not been with orange for 6 years we are with SFR and free before that. When I told the sing song voice on the phone she apologised and hung up before I had chance to wish her a bonne soire :roll:
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

:) :) We had the same last night and just said "Je suis Anglaise et je ne comprend pas" and put the phone down.!!
Dylan
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

I have a variety of responses.
If the caller demands to speak to Monsieur/billpayer etc, I ask if they are sure and hand them over. They give up when they realise the level of his French!
Or I ask in French who they are calling for, and often they put the phone down.
If I'm feeling mischievous and the (often) young lady is wittering on, then I just lay the receiver on the table and get on with the task in hand.
The one that mystifies us is the one that is silent for about 10 seconds, then says "goodbye" in English
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Our eldest loved the phone when she was learning to talk, she loved to listen to grandma after we had done a catch up chat......so when the phone rang and it was a cold caller, I would pop jen in her chair,pass her the phone and tell her to speak to the nice lady :lol: and boy could she chatter! :oops:
Debeneur.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

:lol: :lol:
Dylan
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

Interesting that this evening we received an email from Orange re'PHISHING'
warning us about emails, sms, or téléphone calls from people out to get our personal information, posing as representatives of 'Orange' for example. They warn that we are at risk of 'vol données'. They even offer an email address to contact them : abuse@orange.fr;
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I received this from Orange today.

Vigilance :
risque de vol de données (phishing)

Chère cliente, cher client,

Les tentatives d’escroquerie sur Internet aussi appelées « phishing » se multiplient par e-mail principalement mais aussi par SMS et par téléphone. Orange vous informe des bons réflexes à avoir.

Qu’est-ce que le phishing ?

Des personnes mal intentionnées se font passer pour des organismes ou des entreprises et peuvent utiliser des informations partielles (adresses postales, éléments de RIB ou n° de téléphone par exemple) pour crédibiliser leur demande et tenter de récupérer auprès de vous des informations plus sensibles.

Comment détecter des tentatives de phishing ?

Le phishing se traduit par une demande reçue par email, sms ou par téléphone, non sollicitée de votre part, pour compléter une information manquante, permettre une prétendue régularisation de situation : par exemple pour compléter votre identité, effectuer une vérification de mot de passe, signaler un problème de paiement, une erreur de facturation ou vous proposer de créditer votre compte et en profiter pour vous réclamer vos coordonnées bancaires etc.

Pour en savoir plus sur le phishing
Les bons réflexes

Orange, comme la plupart des grandes entreprises, banques ou organismes officiels, ne vous contactera jamais par mail ou par SMS pour vous demander spécifiquement un mot de passe ou un numéro de carte bancaire. Par téléphone, Orange ne vous contactera jamais dans le seul but d’obtenir ces d’informations.

En cas de doute, vous ne devez jamais renseigner de données personnelles par email ou par sms.
Votre mot de passe d’identification orange.fr est confidentiel et est aussi précieux que le code de votre carte bancaire. Ne le communiquez pas à un tiers et n’utilisez pas le même mot de passe sur d’autres sites.

Pour nous signaler un cas de phishing, n’hésitez pas à transférer le mail douteux à abuse@orange.fr

Laurence Thouveny
Directrice de la Relation Clients Grand Public
Dylan
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I received this from Orange today.

Vigilance :
risque de vol de données (phishing)

Chère cliente, cher client,

Les tentatives d’escroquerie sur Internet aussi appelées « phishing » se multiplient par e-mail principalement mais aussi par SMS et par téléphone. Orange vous informe des bons réflexes à avoir.

Qu’est-ce que le phishing ?

Des personnes mal intentionnées se font passer pour des organismes ou des entreprises et peuvent utiliser des informations partielles (adresses postales, éléments de RIB ou n° de téléphone par exemple) pour crédibiliser leur demande et tenter de récupérer auprès de vous des informations plus sensibles.

Comment détecter des tentatives de phishing ?

Le phishing se traduit par une demande reçue par email, sms ou par téléphone, non sollicitée de votre part, pour compléter une information manquante, permettre une prétendue régularisation de situation : par exemple pour compléter votre identité, effectuer une vérification de mot de passe, signaler un problème de paiement, une erreur de facturation ou vous proposer de créditer votre compte et en profiter pour vous réclamer vos coordonnées bancaires etc.

Pour en savoir plus sur le phishing
Les bons réflexes

Orange, comme la plupart des grandes entreprises, banques ou organismes officiels, ne vous contactera jamais par mail ou par SMS pour vous demander spécifiquement un mot de passe ou un numéro de carte bancaire. Par téléphone, Orange ne vous contactera jamais dans le seul but d’obtenir ces d’informations.

En cas de doute, vous ne devez jamais renseigner de données personnelles par email ou par sms.
Votre mot de passe d’identification orange.fr est confidentiel et est aussi précieux que le code de votre carte bancaire. Ne le communiquez pas à un tiers et n’utilisez pas le même mot de passe sur d’autres sites.

Pour nous signaler un cas de phishing, n’hésitez pas à transférer le mail douteux à abuse@orange.fr

Laurence Thouveny
Directrice de la Relation Clients Grand Public
Dylan
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

These calls are tiresome, but if anything less so than those I got in my few years in the UK after I retired and realised what I had been missing all week when I was at work. I don't personally see the need to say anything at all: if any circumstance allows you just to put the phone down on someone, this is surely it. Even then, they sometimes call back: as has been said, they are often, evidently, doing ungrateful work in bad circumstances. You cannot withhold some sympathy, though not, in my case, to the extent of buying their double-glazing.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

martyn94 wrote:These calls are tiresome, but if anything less so than those I got in my few years in the UK after I retired and realised what I had been missing all week when I was at work. I don't personally see the need to say anything at all: if any circumstance allows you just to put the phone down on someone, this is surely it. Even then, they sometimes call back: as has been said, they are often, evidently, doing ungrateful work in bad circumstances. You cannot withhold some sympathy, though not, in my case, to the extent of buying their double-glazing.
Sue's information from Orange isn't a tiresome email. It was sent to people on Orange for this notice~this is a true problem. If you go into the office of Orange, they have posters of this problem too.

What we have to do is determine which is a scam or a reall threat. If you think is a scam, call your agent (Orange, ??) and ask them if this is true.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

blackduff wrote: Sue's information from Orange isn't a tiresome email. It was sent to people on Orange for this notice~this is a true problem.

Blackduff
Yes of course. I was commenting on junk - and worse - phone calls. It should be second nature to hang up when calls take a wrong turn: either selling stuff cold, or asking for info that respectable never try to get over the phone.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

I had a bad notice from Orange today. My monthly bill was more than normal. I checked into this and there wasn't something new for 2014. My wife called Orange and they said we are giving money to "GIBMEDIA". Orange since it's our problem, they cannot change this demand for my money.

GIBMEDIA turns out being a trojan. The current name is called "Adware: W32/Gibmedia". There's a few aliases too. Now, trying to eliminate this is tough. I've cleaned my desktop but one of the laptops is the culprit. I had to put the computers into the Safe Mode. The first laptop had two hi-jack findings by Norton's scanning. The scanning from the Malwarebytes program found six on my desktop and a bunch on the first laptop. The laptop is still running but it found 28 items so far. It's still cooking.

The third laptop is clean. I have been on a changing of the laptops so it was pretty clean. But, so far this laptop has nine nasties from Nortons scan and it just started.

My tablet can be tainted by trojans, etc.. So, I better get some programs to protect this too.

Despite Orange sending emails saying about phishing scams, it's needed more effort from them. BNP is giving phishing notices too and a bank is an area each person need to be "up to date" with security. Anglophone-Direct is a good place to spread the scammers sending our offers.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

They are a nuisance. If I'm at my desk and the call shows PRIVATE, I'll tend to ignore it or at least listen for the tell-tale sound of a call-centre and hang-up. However, my kids have not yet learnt to distinguish a dodgy cold call and will bring the phone to me when I'm working in the cave.

I had a bizarre call yesterday from Cellier des Templiers in Banyuls, in perfect English, saying they were researching wine-buying habits in Trouillas, presumably because we all have impeccable taste here :D

Even after I told her I was a producer she still offered to come round this afternoon to offer me her wares.

Seems an odd and rather desperate marketing tactic to sell wine. I wonder if they are phoning every Anglo-Saxon name in the directory or they just target a different village each week and just call everyone in the annuaire to see who's in during the day.

Fortunately for me, my address in the annuaire is wrong and I ain't about to change it :twisted:
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29