Boulanger Perpignan South

A place for new members to say a quick hello and introduce themselves.

Moderator: Moderators

Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Boulanger Perpignan South

Post by Daphne »

I bought an electric tooth brush in Jan (not reduced) but faulty!I returned it, they gave me a 'bon' which I used to buy the same model. After one week it started to have the same problem as the previous one. When I returned it today they not only refused to credit my account but were rude, including the manager who we asked to see. I explained that one of our sons had worked for Boulanger in Madrid in the marketing dept and they continually up-dated their offers and did credit your bank account if required.We were informed that the way Boulanger in Spain trade has nothing to do with the French system! We now have a 'bon' which we don't want but feel that we have to use it in the next 3 months!!!!!! I am loathe to ever shop there again, the shop is always empty and products expensive, thank goodness it wasn't an expensive product I purchased!
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Would you estimate that they were rude because you were not a fluent French speaker....or were they simply rude people? The reason I ask is that I am helping a training company who usually run courses on customer care etc, but are putting on a special one to train reception staff etc who deal with a lot of Anglophone clients. We are looking at getting over prejudices etc and dealing with the anglophone client with a bit more patience. Could use them as an example if you feel there was any anti foreign feeling involved.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I would love to be a fly on the wall for customer care course in France. Or even add to it, I always get the impression that customers are a nuisance to the people doing their job{sic}
A lot of staff albeit in stores or office would not gat past the initial application form for my previous employers.
Obviously staff can only work with company policy but some manners would go a long way.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

I'm not sure Kate. I did have an incident just after Christmas with the Banque Populaire in Perpignan who hung up on me, mid-way me explaining my problem. I immediately phoned back and touched on the most pleasant and helpful lady who couldn't do enough for me! On the other side of the coin in Auchan yesterday we had the most helpful young man who even attempted to speak English, although that wasn't necessary, it was a nice gesture!
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

It's always lovely to see the other side of the coin isnt it Daphne, to keep reminding us that 'il y a des bons et il y a des cons' wherever we go in this world.

It's particularly nice that the dept is prepared to back a training scheme to help receptions etc to deal with 'étrangers' (for that read western Europeans!) as sometimes the difference in culture leads to misunderstanding eg I am always saying sorry - sorry to be a nuisance, sorry to disturb you in your conversation with your boyfriend even though I've been waiting here for 5 mins, sorry that the goods you appear to have sold me are faulty, sorry that there is a fly in my soup......I can't help it but I dont mean it - well, not as in the true sense of sorry. A very Britsh trait I thinK

Anybody else have very British traits which might sometimes be misunderstood?

Another with me is I often start off with...it's probably my fault....even when I know it's not!! Pathetic I know! :oops:
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

My British trait.......a sense of hummour :lol:
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

a British trait ? Attempting a jokey comment with your French dentist/doctor/pharmacist/tax official/one of our neighbours (but not the other!). I only do it to relieve the tension/embarrassment/people generally taking themselves too seriously :wink:
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

I'm another one who apologises when it's not my fault, an example being the person in front letting a door swing in my direction because they are too ignorant to hold it open for you and i've apologised!!!!!!!! Or making my sons hold doors open for stampeding crowds who just push their way past without acknowledgement making you wonder why you try to teach your children good manners!!!!!
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I think the view of customer service in France is to provide help and often intelligent help. That's quite different to the UK where it seems to mean making scripted corporate apologies and doing absolutely nothing.

What doesn;t work here is to go in with the "I know my rights" attitude that is often needed to get results in Britain. Much better to go in and simply explain the problem and ask for help.

Having said that, I find the customer advice and care in Boulanger to be inferior to Darty. Boulanger have some good general info on products but a) they have too many choices and b) the staff aren't technically capable of selling you the right thing. Darty seem to be able to explain the choices and help you make the right decisions. Not that you need that for a toothbrush.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
lonesome paddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lonesome paddy »

I have no British traits whatsoever. To be serious though, many French staff have said to me that quite a few English people in particular have a very belligerent attitude in their dealings with them (something akin to what Santiago touched on). I have to say that in dealing with Tresor Public, CPAM, hospitals and all state bodies i have never come across rudeness. As regards the sense of humour, when they get to understand it they do enjoy it and even start to use it with you.
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

I can assure you that it is not in my nature to be rude or ignorant which is why it upsets and hurts me when people treat me with disrespect when it is uncalled for. However, my fiery Spanish husband won't take rubbish from anybody and seems to get things done with more respect and manners than I do!!!!!!!!!!
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Interesting insights from Santiago.
I fnd a difference between French City and French town/rural. I try and buy local when I can.

Perhaps there is also a natural correlation with size. For my mind Auchan tops the list of 'more training needed'.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands