New member looking to move to P-O

A place for new members to say a quick hello and introduce themselves.

Moderator: Moderators

nesling
Rank 0
Rank 0

New member looking to move to P-O

Post by nesling »

We are retired Canadian couple who have been living in El Port de la Selva for nearly four years, but now thinking about moving a little further up the coast. Appreciate any suggestions. We want a place we can rent year-round, close to beaches (We swim ALOT), quiet location but close enough to Perpignan to have somewhere to go on dull winter evenings.
Eleanor & Seamus Nesling
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

Welcome and good luck to you both with your search. El Port de la Selva is very picturesque and so close to so many beautiful coastal resorts such as Cadaques. You would probably love Collioure but I'm sure you'll find a big difference in the cost of living. Many of us here do a considerable amount of shopping in Figueras, especially for fish and meat. I can't speak from experience re the price of rentals near the coast but there do seem to be a lot of members on the forum who could advise you. Buena Suerte!
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: New member looking to move to P-O

Post by martyn94 »

nesling wrote:We are retired Canadian couple who have been living in El Port de la Selva for nearly four years, but now thinking about moving a little further up the coast. Appreciate any suggestions. We want a place we can rent year-round, close to beaches (We swim ALOT), quiet location but close enough to Perpignan to have somewhere to go on dull winter evenings.
Suggestions about what? Port Vendres is close to beaches, not too noisy (depending where you are), and just about alive enough in the winter that you might not always need to go to Perpignan. And if you do want to do so, it is very easy. Though you might want to check the last trains/buses back. And there are year-round lets to be had.

But anyone else here could make a pitch for their own little corner of paradise. We all know what we like for ourselves
spj
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by spj »

hi
i have lived in france for 24 years if i were you i would stay there
spanish people are far more easy going and fun loving than the french
spain is much cheaper than france plus there far more resturants and places to go - you only have to go roses or any of the other costal resorts and see how many french people spend there sunday !
Satbloke66
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: New member looking to move to P-O

Post by Satbloke66 »

nesling wrote:We are retired Canadian couple who have been living in El Port de la Selva for nearly four years, but now thinking about moving a little further up the coast. Appreciate any suggestions. We want a place we can rent year-round, close to beaches (We swim ALOT), quiet location but close enough to Perpignan to have somewhere to go on dull winter evenings.
Don't do it! after 16 years in France we are moving to the Costa Brava. France is now so expensive we could not afford to live here in retirement. What I would do is move closer to Figueras or Girona.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I love it here. I suppose everyone has different priorities, different means and different hopes but personally I wouldnt change a thing. I am home.

It's not cheap compared to Spain - but it never has been so that's nothing new. And there are some snotty people around - but aren't there everywhere?
CPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPB »

I second what Kate says^^^

I love it here.

As for the cost point of view; we are close enough that we can take advantage of some Spanish shopping and meals out. The price difference is not a big enough difference for me to want to live in Spain.

Here I have found the people very welcoming, yes you get the odd twit but I've met plenty of those in my life and not many of them here. I think the French psychi is different, once you understand it a bit more you'll see that aren't rude and aloof, they are just different, don't let it put you off, we have met some wonderful people here.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Any particular reason why you want to move to France? It's not just further up the coast, it's another country with a completely different set of values.

Perhaps we could suggest locations if we understood the driving factor, as I quite like Port de la Selva and could easily imagine living there if I were retired and liked swimming.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29