"To boost or not to boost"

Health questions, information, advice, French health system, mutuels....

Moderator: Moderators

alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

"To boost or not to boost"

Post by alan »

I become entitled to a Covid Booster shot in the UK later this month, given my age and the fact that I received my second shot in April. I have no concerns about being vaccinated from a risk perspective but have struggled with whether someone, particularly of my age (71 in a few days), should receive a third dose when so many people in the world have yet to receive a first dose.

But I have found an article in Today's Guardian by Professor Andrew Pollard helpful and quoting from it,

'The “to boost or not to boost” moral dilemma is not in the purview of individual citizens who ponder whether to roll up their sleeve when offered a booster by a vaccine clinic this week. A dose that is in the vaccine clinic fridge (or freezer) cannot be redirected to someone else in another country, because the regulatory hurdles and shelf-life simply make redistribution of this dose not practical. Redistribution has to happen prior to the release of vaccine doses to the national health system. A protest against vaccination at individual level will be misdirected and risks wasting these precious doses. If you are asked to roll up your sleeve, then you should do so'.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ooster-jab
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: "To boost or not to boost"

Post by Gus Morris »

I too am in the 70+ bracket. The advice in France is to get a booster jab and I had mine almost exactly six months after the second one. If this lessens the chances of me being rushed to hospital in these diffficult times then is it not my civic duty? Do I not have a responsibility to my wife, children and grandchildren

Plus I don't really want to leave just yet.

Gus
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alan »

Gus

I don't see that having a booster is a civic duty. To quote again from the Guardian article:

'While the case for boosters is not yet agreed by all scientists, it is possible that boosters may bring some additional gain for some people, even though the potential benefit for most individuals is small. Most double-jabbed people are so highly protected against severe disease that a booster dose won’t improve protection much'.

Our children and grandchildren may well be bettered served by more people throughout the world getting first and second doses rather than you and I Gus getting a third.

For the avoidance of any doubt, I too don't want to leave just yet but vaccines and other treatments are a scarce resource and should be distributed more equitably.

Alan
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

I get regular emails from Ameli reminding me to get a third vaccination. The other day I received a letter enclosing my free prescription entitling me to a flu jab and a notice emphasising the importance of all this. The reality of the matter is that, if I refuse a dose, nobody will benefit. It's not as if I an take the dose and physically donate it to Medecins Sans Frontiers.

Gus
Gastoom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Gastoom »

Good lord we're supposed to get another one? (I assume you mean covid and not standard flu). The boosting will never end. Guess I'm going in for another.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Definately worth getting everything that's offered. Especially if you or someone in your household is vunerable. The vaccine is modified continuously to cope with new variants so keeps you protected against them as much as possible.

Russell
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alan »

I tested positive for COVID last September shortly before I was due to have a booster. It was unpleasant but fortunately l did not develop a serious illness. After a month had gone by, I had the booster and am completely up-to-date in accordance with advice from the UK Government. I have also had the flu vaccine. I hope that I am reasonably safe from serious illness this winter
Sirmon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sirmon »

russell wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 08:58 Definately worth getting everything that's offered. Especially if you or someone in your household is vunerable. The vaccine is modified continuously to cope with new variants so keeps you protected against them as much as possible.

Russell
I think this is the right approach. Why not get it if it's available? I'd rather stay ahead of it, especially if I'd gotten it before.