What would a 'Brexit' mean for Health Care in the Future

Health questions, information, advice, French health system, mutuels....

Moderator: Moderators

montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

What would a 'Brexit' mean for Health Care in the Future

Post by montgolfiere »

With thoughts to the previous Post......what does anyone think would happen to the rights of Expat Health Care in France and around Europe, should the "Lunatics decide to 'Brexit' the Asylum", in the forthcoming Referendum?
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: What would a 'Brexit' mean for Health Care in the Future

Post by Smiley G »

montgolfiere wrote:With thoughts to the previous Post......what does anyone think would happen to the rights of Expat Health Care in France and around Europe, should the "Lunatics decide to 'Brexit' the Asylum", in the forthcoming Referendum?
We (British Ex-Pats) would join other non EU immigrants and be treated the same as them. S1 holders would be hit the hardest.
A "Brexit" will mean NO health cover, NO State Pension increases and I expect that the "Double Taxation Treaty" will go in the bin as well.
The "Stay" campaign have already foreseen an influx of returning Ex-Pats should the "No" campaign succeed. The only unknown is how long a "Brexit" would take.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

so with over 2 million Expats spread around the EEC.... a Brexit could end up 'Crippling' the UK NHS as we all head home as our Health becomes an issue..........Especially all the OAPs...i should just about become one as the Brexit could come into play in about 3 years time!!!
......mind you i suppose there could be a similar flow in the other direction. But i imagine most of the EEC Expats living in the UK are younger, contributing to Society and not using the NHS as much as all the Retired UK Expats living (it up!!!) in the likes of 'Sunny Spain and the South of France' so it could well be a Disaster.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

With current polls indicating a 50-50 split, I think the outcome is uncertain.
What the required "winning post" will be is not yet clear. If it was down to 50.1 against 49.9, then ANY action would be divisive, so I would hope that a win would have to be a clear win.
The Treaty of Rome provides for a 2 year exit corridor once the process to be followed has been agreed between the exiting country and the EU, so, for example, if the referendum was held in June 2016, any "Brexit" would probably be no later than the 31st December 2018.
The question and the dilemma has to be;
"Is the EU a good thing with some bad parts?" or
"Is the EU a bad thing with some good parts?"
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: What would a 'Brexit' mean for Health Care in the Future

Post by martyn94 »

Smiley G wrote:
montgolfiere wrote:With thoughts to the previous Post......what does anyone think would happen to the rights of Expat Health Care in France and around Europe, should the "Lunatics decide to 'Brexit' the Asylum", in the forthcoming Referendum?
We (British Ex-Pats) would join other non EU immigrants and be treated the same as them. S1 holders would be hit the hardest.
A "Brexit" will mean NO health cover, NO State Pension increases and I expect that the "Double Taxation Treaty" will go in the bin as well.
The "Stay" campaign have already foreseen an influx of returning Ex-Pats should the "No" campaign succeed. The only unknown is how long a "Brexit" would take.
I entirely share the view that Brexit is bonkers. But I wouldn't be too pessimistic about the future of medical care or pension increases: the UK already pays for our care here under S1 and it is not obvious why that need stop, and various non-EU countries are eligible for pension increase, having made the necessary reciprocal agreement. The DTA is nothing to do with the EU: it is a bilateral agreement with France, which existed long before we joined the EU, and is in much the same terms as the UK has agreed with dozens of other countries around the world.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

S1 forms are only eligible in the EEA, so if there were to be a "Brexit" the health cover would be withdrawn. I suppose if a "Brexit" happened, the U.K. could leave the EU but remain in the EEA.
State Pension increases are not granted to those expats in Australia, New Zealand etc. but like a lot of other things it's a bit of a grey area.
I too think a vote for an EU exit would be sheer lunacy.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Smiley G wrote:S1 forms are only eligible in the EEA, so if there were to be a "Brexit" the health cover would be withdrawn. I suppose if a "Brexit" happened, the U.K. could leave the EU but remain in the EEA.
State Pension increases are not granted to those expats in Australia, New Zealand etc. but like a lot of other things it's a bit of a grey area.
I too think a vote for an EU exit would be sheer lunacy.
I think you have to assume that the UK would maintain some sort of relation with the EU, something along the lines of the EEA. But it is anybody's guess what might actually be negotiable. I suspect that the uncertainties about that are being preserved as one of the reasons for us ultimately to accept whatever pretty damp squib D Cameron will shortly produce as a "victory" in his negotiations. The whole exercise seems to me to be so frivolous as to be funny if it weren't quite serious, but I have no reason to doubt that DC is doing what he regards as necessary to keep his loonies more-or-less in their kennels.

Why they are still so loony, 40 years on, is one of those mysteries I gave up on decades ago.