Care help at home in Elne

Health questions, information, advice, French health system, mutuels....

Moderator: Moderators

nicola
Rank 0
Rank 0

Care help at home in Elne

Post by nicola »

Hi my parents are in their early 70s and spend as much time at their house in Elne as they can, the rest of the time they live with me in London.

Because I cannot support them in France as much as I do when they are with me, we are looking for some part time care help (could be live in if desired, in separate apartment) for around 25-30 hours per week.

My mum has late stage Alzheimer's and my dad is sole carer when they are in France, so it is to provide some respite and help in looking after mum, and would involve companionship, and some personal care from someone that is kind and patient.

It has to be someone who speaks good English, as neither of them speak French. We haven't tried the French health system for this reason, and because they do move between London and Elne.

If you know of anyone who is mature and sensible, kind, patient and has flexibility for a part time carer role, please get in touch.

thanks Nicola
Florence
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Care help at home in Elne

Post by Florence »

Try ADMR, Elne, or type aide à domicile, Elne on your search bar.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I don’t mean to be difficult, but it’s not clear from your post where your parents spend most of their time. You might expect that someone with late-stage Alzheimer’s who spent significant time here would already be in touch with French services who could have helped you with this.

In any event, if ADMR can help (and I don’t see why they wouldn’t try) they would normally expect to do it at least in part at the expense of the French social security system. And so expect to see your parents’ “cartes vitales” to show that they are affiliated here.

If they have them, well and good. And if they mostly live in London, I imagine that ADMR would still try to help when they are here. But if they mostly live in France, but haven’t yet fessed up to being French residents, that might be a complication you might need to address.

My apologies in advance if this seems officious, but it wasn’t clear from your post what their current relationship to “the French health system” actually is.

If they ever need full-time live-in cover, an elderly friend has had care provided by a UK-based outfit until recently. The carers have all been good English speakers (and mostly mother-tongue English speakers from a nursing background): they were mostly expats here, but not local to where my friend lived, nor to Elne, so would expect to take turns a few weeks at a time. They were not cheap, but seemed remarkably good value to me. If you are ever interested, send me a private message and I will try to dig up their details.
mel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mel »

have sent you a private message.
Jane Lawes
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jane Lawes »

I could offer up to 16 hours per week but not weekends. 0674143490 . If you could contact me if the position is still vacant. Jane Lawes