visiting in dentist

Health questions, information, advice, French health system, mutuels....

Moderator: Moderators

mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

visiting in dentist

Post by mand »

I know how the french healthcare system works for medical treatment where you claim upto 70% back but how does it work for dental treatment?.

hubby was talking to an Acquaintance in France this week who said he had just paid a €1100 euros for his new dentures, shocked hubby enquired don't you get help with the cost of those and the friend replied hardly anything..

So hubby worried about our future phoned AXA and enquired of insurance for this, now either there was a misunderstanding or something but he was quoted €2500.. so what is the healthcare policy on charges for dentistry or does everyone just take insurance?
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

We have found our dentist in Perps to be very reasonable.
We are dreading having to find a new dentist in England when we return there.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

With dentistry it works like this, AFAIK.

The state health insurance companies have a list of recommended fees for every dentistry job which is what they will refund you. Dentists always charge a lot more than that. You can shop around but won't save much.

If you have a top-up mutuelle, you will get some more money refunded but unlikely to be 100% like you would with prescriptions.

The mutuelle I have pays 185% of dental work. What this means is that I will receive and additional 85% of what the MSA (my state health insurance) pays for that job. For example, I've just had a root canal and crown which cost about 600€. The MSA pays 180€ and the mutuelle will therefore give me 153€ which still leaves me short 267€

I think this is how most mutuelles work but I could be wrong.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

That's pretty much how I understand it ,Jon.

I presume that there are Mutualiste policies where you can opt to get the full cost of treatment back,but I don't suppose the premiums are bargain-priced!

In the main we've been very satisfied with the dental work and prices we've encountered since we lived here.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

yes you can up your premium for the dental treatment or optical or both...........but you will pay high for it, and you may not use it! Dental work in France in our opinion is a lot chaper than Uk, about 10 years ago outie had a front tooth implant with a titanium screw with a uk dentist, this cost just around the thousand pound mark, when his dentist here commented that he had a very expensive piece of Dental work , he was told it was around a thousand euros here a couple of years ago.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Yes Opas. My experience is that dentists seem to be a lot cheaper in France than in England. May have just been lucky to find my lovely man in Perps. (I was cheeky and asked my French doctor to recommend a dentist - she was kind enough to direct me to her own!)
I am seriously thinking of flying over to France to visit him even when we have sold up and moved back to England.
averyogini
Rank 0
Rank 0

name of dentist

Post by averyogini »

Mind sharing the name of the great dentist you found in Perpignan? I'm looking for a natural dentist, using the least toxic materials...
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Hiya.
He is called M. Joquet
I may have got the spelling wrong there. Was never sure if it was Joguet or Joquet. His phone number is 0468345419
He can be found right in the centre of Perps.
Pass H & M (just a shop, nothing saucy) on your right and then turn left.
On your left you will see a little turning with a naughty undies shop on the corner.
Turn in and ignore the undies.
At the end of this short run of shops is the dentists' building.
Just climb the stairs - he is above some sort of art studio.
It is worth the search.
I just found him so reassuring and I was a very nervous client.
He was actually recommended to my by my doctor. He is her own dentist.
I am sure you can talk to him about toxins.
Wish I was in France at the moment as I have just lost a ginormous filling and am scared to visit a dentist here in Tenerife.
Let me know how you get on.
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mrob343 »

polremy wrote:Hiya.
He is called M. Joquet
I may have got the spelling wrong there. Was never sure if it was Joguet or Joquet. His phone number is 0468345419
He can be found right in the centre of Perps.
On your left you will see a little turning with a naughty undies shop on the corner.
It is worth the search.
I just found him so reassuring and I was a very nervous client.
He was actually recommended to my by my doctor. He is her own dentist.
I am sure you can talk to him about toxins.
Wish I was in France at the moment as I have just lost a ginormous filling and am scared to visit a dentist here in Tenerife.
Let me know how you get on.

It is worth the search.

With those directions Pol i hope he gets sorted ! :lol: :lol:
Or he's in for some serous toothache ! :lol:
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

When I took a quote for some dental work to the man at Groupama to see how much of it they would pay he suggested that I do what he does and go to La Jonquera for the work as they charge half as much as the French dentists. I haven't plucked up the courage to try it yet though!

Russell.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Did you have a good look at the Groupama rep's teeth?
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Santiago wrote:Did you have a good look at the Groupama rep's teeth?
:lol: :lol:

Russell.
averyogini
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: name of dentist

Post by averyogini »

averyogini wrote:Mind sharing the name of the great dentist you found in Perpignan? I'm looking for a natural dentist, using the least toxic materials...
Thanks for the tip. I had an appointment with Mr. Joguet yesterday and you are right, he's very professional and reassuring. I'll be using him regularly.