Which type of swimming pool? PVC liner or Fibreglass?

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

CD
Rank 3
Rank 3

Which type of swimming pool? PVC liner or Fibreglass?

Post by CD »

With our permanent move to France scheduled for July, it is time to consider what type of swimming pool we should install.

The house is built on terraced land over 3 levels and we want to build the pool out level with one terrace and down to the next terrace, along the length of the terrace. Not quite an infinity pool, but something approaching it. The difference in height between the terraces is 2.2m. Technically it's an above ground pool, but it will look built in from above with a 1m surround at one end 2 to 3m at the other (shallow end) as little as possible along the outer edge and a poolside terrace on the top terrace level.

We want to use the pool primarily for keeping fit, so would like to have it longer and thinner than usual (say 10m x 3m?) which would help it sit in the landscape with less impact.

So, having tried to describe the situation fully, we come to the burning question: what type of construction?

The choice seems to be down to concrete walls and a PVC liner or a fibreglass shell.

The most important consideration is the life of the pool. We don't want to replace it in 10 years time when we might not be able to afford it. We're prepared to spend a bit more now to save later.

What does the collective wisdom of the forum say?

Does anyone have a source for really impartial advice rather than what a salesman will tell you?

I tried a search of the Forum, but couldn't find much info.

Many thanks for your help.

Chris
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Which type of swimming pool? PVC liner or Fibreglass?

Post by Daphne »

[quote="CD"]With our permanent move to France scheduled for July, it is time to consider what type of swimming pool we should install.

The house is built on terraced land over 3 levels and we want to build the pool out level with one terrace and down to the next terrace, along the length of the terrace. Not quite an infinity pool, but something approaching it. The difference in height between the terraces is 2.2m. Technically it's an above ground pool, but it will look built in from above with a 1m surround at one end 2 to 3m at the other (shallow end) as little as possible along the outer edge and a poolside terrace on the top terrace level.

We want to use the pool primarily for keeping fit, so would like to have it longer and thinner than usual (say 10m x 3m?) which would help it sit in the landscape with less impact.

So, having tried to describe the situation fully, we come to the burning question: what type of construction?

The choice seems to be down to concrete walls and a PVC liner or a fibreglass shell.

The most important consideration is the life of the pool. We don't want to replace it in 10 years time when we might not be able to afford it. We're prepared to spend a bit more now to save later.

What does the collective wisdom of the forum say?

Does anyone have a source for really impartial advice rather than what a salesman will tell you?

I tried a search of the Forum, but couldn't find much info.

Many thanks for your help.

Chris[/quote]

From personal experience, we wouldn't have a liner again! We have had a lot of problems exasperated by the fact that the supplier Magiline in Perpignan ceased trading and several companies refused to touch a Magiline pool!!! There is an excellent pool supplier near St Pere Pescador and they won't sell liners anymore, unfortunately they don't come to France but their products are excellent and cheaper than here!
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I would have thought that if you want a custom shape, you won't be able to find a fibreglass shell. Tiled concrete would be best. But then I don't have a pool as, despite enjoying swimming, I can't be bothered with looking after one myself.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hi Chris,
I am Olivier, Kate's husband and director of TPM Pool and Project Management.

I can give only impartial advice as the boss will beat me if I do otherwise.

As Santiago says, if you want a bespoke pool, your options are limited to concrete pools or maybe pool kits.

Pool kits tend to have panels between 120 high roughly so the bottom of the pool with have a diamond shape

Concrete pools will give you the depth you require although deep swimming pools are not fashionable any more. We have actually filled in (reduced depth) on two pools this year as families couldn't play ball etc. Also they use much more water.

For the finish, you have 3 options, tile, liner or resin. The advantages of tiles are that it gives you the real feel of a swimming pool - the drawbacks is that you need to choose your water treatment carefully as for example chlorine eats up the grouting. Also if you have ground movement, no matter how strong the pool is, you will have cracks. Some colleagues say that concrete pools always leak. From experience, we are called out to look for leaks on concrete pools more than any other.

My favourite is liners. Choose 150/100ième or called liner armé. This will give you option to use any shape,colour etc you like, 100% waterproof and easier to clean, usually guaranteed 10 years and if looked after, easily 15. Problems: can get damaged by chemicals such as chlorine if owner or pool cleaner don't know what they're doing with their treatment.
Daphne, it is not the product that is to blame here but the installer, who had a bad rep and are known to put in liners which are too fine like 75iéme which comes in one single element, already made up whereas the liner armé is welder on the spot.

Resin: very few people do it well in this region but an excellent product if you can get a good artisan

Also consider the treatment of the pool carefully, and for the build remember that not all pool builders are equal. Prices can very enormously (concrete is the most expensive) from one builder to another and it is worth getting several quotes and asking around (ie ask to see finished and working products and talk to people who have had same pool installed)
Hope this helps
Olivier

TPM Pool Services
www.tpm66.com
info@tpm66.com
Fixe: 04 68 39 75 81
Mob: 06 75 46 93 65
CD
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CD »

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for the reply.

We don't want a really deep pool, but I do want to be able to dive at the deeper end (1.8m?) If it's not too deep, I'll soon learn to dive shallower! The shallower end would ideally be about 1.2m. This isn't a pool for kids (don't have any, and I can't eat a whole one any more! :wink: ).

We appreciate that it's going to have to be built up from the lower terrace a bit, so some sort of foundation is going to be required.

Any suggestions of people to talk to in the Prades area would be welcome (PM'd if appropriate).

Thanks,

Chris
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

I have found the people on the ring road opposite Super-U helpful.

Russell.