Hotels in Barcelona.

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Hotels in Barcelona.

Post by carol sheridan »

I will be staying near Prades for a week or so in late October, and I would love to spend a couple of nights in Barcelona. I plan to drive to the airport and leave my car in the long-stay car park and take the train to the town.
Can anyone recommend a budget hotel in the Gothic quarter? I am advised that Los Ramblas is very noisy at night, so I am hoping to avoid staying there, although I will be visiting it during the day.
Are there any problems on the motorway at the moment?
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

We used bookings.com (click on the banner at top of page of main site) to find a suitable hotel in Barcs. It's often cheaper than booking directly with the hotel, and they all have comments about location, cleanliness etc ie pluses and minusus written by guests, so you know pretty well what you're getting.
Bon séjour!
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Thanks, Kate...I have used them for some of my long-haul stopovers on my way to New Zealand, so I will have a look at their site again.
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Hotels in Barcelona.

Post by Daphne »

Hi Carol, I know Barcelona quite well as my husband is from there. If you choose to drive to Bcn airport and park you are choosing a very expensive option and a scary drive through Barcelona. My advice is to park in Figueras railway station and take the train. If you keep your train tickets to produce on your return it's a lot cheaper than parking in Bcn. Also if you are over 60 you can apply for a 'Gold Card, Carta Dorada' at the station, which costs about 5 euros for a year and allows you a 40% discount on your fares. If you want to be near the Gothic Quarter don't stay on the train to Sants train station, get off the station before at Passeig de Gracia.
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Many thanks,Daphne, I will take your advice about parking.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Definitely second Daphne on that Carol. Easier, much less stressful and probably cheaper. Return Figs Barcs around 21 euros last time I went. Factor in tolls, petrol and Barcs parking and I reckon a much better deal.
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Thanks, Kate. I am now looking at budget hotels on line.
I used to pass through Figueras when I lived in St. Cyprien Plage and I was picking family up from Girona airport. It has quite a lot to see so I might spend an hour or two there as well.