French laws governing non-EU citizens owning property

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

Richard and Sharon
Rank 3
Rank 3

French laws governing non-EU citizens owning property

Post by Richard and Sharon »

Does anyone know the situation for Brits owning property in in France, or where I might be able to find out?

The UK Government advises as follows:
"Some EU countries have laws which govern property ownership and differentiate between their own citizens, EU citizens and non-EU citizens. You should check with local authorities about how these might apply to you."

We own a house in P-O but have decided not to take up French residency at this time. I have been struggling to ascertain how a no deal Brexit might affect us beyond having to get the driving licence permit.
Richard and Sharon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: French laws governing non-EU citizens owning property

Still not found an answer specific to our situation, but did come across this:

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualite ... xit/Sejour

May be of interest if you have not already seen it. Useful to be aware that people without residency will need a visa to stay in France for more than 90 days, assuming I have understood correctly.
Richard and Sharon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Sorry, should have said that the visa requirement is only in the event of a no deal Brexit
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Are you concerned about your right to own property here, or the terms on which you can stay here to use it yourself?
Richard and Sharon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Ah, thank you Martyn for your interest.
Concerned about anything that will adversely affect us, I suppose. Anything we can do to mitigate or must do because of the changes.
Now parliament has voted against the possibility of a no deal Brexit (which I assume could still change if deadlock continues) maybe there is less risk now, but I don't want to be caught by complacency.