Tax on swimming pools

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Tax on swimming pools

Post by Kathy »

We are not far off finishing work to our swimming pool and have a rather lengthy form to fill in when complete. I presume this is so that our taxes can increase. Does anyone know how much increase the fonciere tax will be on a in ground pool?
Steve
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Steve »

We had a pool installed at our place in Llupia at the end of May & I filled out the same tax form, with the help of the man from company who installed the pool, at the end of June.

We received our Tax Fonciere demand last week & it is exactly the same as last years. Heres hoping :!:
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

I am pleased to hear that for you. Fingers crossed then. I am filling the form in myself and it is not easy when you don't speak French.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

The answer lies in the soil... er... it's variable and depends on various factors - Ref:
Specific question: La construction d'une piscine entraîne-t-elle une augmentation de la taxe foncière?
Answer - see link:
http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/part ... ies&l=N236

Probably the form asks for details for the exact assessment..
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Interesting comments on that site. (thanks to google translator)How do they decide whether you have reached the limit for tax I wonder? Steve is at this limit or he has a shock to come in 2 years time by the sound of it.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Taxe foncière is much like rates in the UK. Ratable value of a property depends on the buildings, the size of the plot, etc.. and not least the area/community in which the property is located for the "pence in the pound" basis. Our house in Torquay has a vastly different ratable value to a similar one in Newton Abbot or Totnes.. depends on council funds and project financing.. same over here.. the City of Carcassonne for example charges taxe foncière on property within its limits at double that of most surrounding villages.. Quite a modest town house will be taxed at 16-1800 p.a. where the same house in Roullens, Fontiès d'Aude, etc. may be only 6-800 p.a. That is why it is impossible for us to give an exact answer to the original question.. even if all the necessary details were put in the thread (and who wants to do that with personal stuff?) it would still depend on other factors which only the local mairie takes into accpount.

The big difference, as far as I know, is that the taxe foncière is based on an estimated rentable value of the property, whereas I think UK rates are based on the saleable value - that right, you experts out there?

PS. Taxe d'Habitation is not based on the property value but on the taxed earnings of the occupant(s)
Steve
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Steve »

I look forward to my tax bill in 2 years time then? :?
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

Oh dear - time to reveal my ignorance.

We bought our place in June last year and paid the Taxe d'Habitation last December. The bill was in the name of the previous owner. I have just recieved (and paid) this years T d'H which was sent to me at my home address in England which must have been supplies by the Notaire to the tax authorities. I did not have to make any declaration, and this years bill was exactly the same sum as last years.

BUT I have never recieved a demand for any Tax Foncieres. Whoops!

So then - is my Taxe d'H sum correct, and what do I do about the Tax Foncieres? Any ideas?
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Taxe d'habitation is 100pct clear. Whoever legally owns the property on 01January of the current year pays the tax for that whole year.

As we understand things - as explained by an expert at the Tresor Publique in Perpignan - it is not (by law) possible to receive and pay two taxe d'habitations during one year 01Jan-31Dec on the same property. I.e. the previous owner must have paid for the full year 2006 already, provided he/she still legally owned the property on 01Jan 2006, so you should not have been billed for 2006 - even pro rata - as there is no such thing as pro rata in the taxe d'habitation setup during one year except as follows.

If you are the legal owner, but do not occupy the house as a local resident (I think it's more than 6 months per year), as far as I remember, when we were in that position, you pay only a proportion commensurate with your occupation during that year. If you let the property for gain - e.g. during the summer season, the occupants - as in a hotel or gite - are subject to a daily rate taxe d'habitation, which is normally collected as part of the rent by the agent (assuming the property is let via an agent) and passed to the tresorie separately.

However, don't take the above paragraph as 100pct accurate and up to date as I can't check this in the old file we had for our "holiday" place in Sorede, sold in 1998. You should know on which tresor publique your property is dependent as it must be shown on the bills you have received. The only way to be 100pct sure is to contact their customer service which is usually very helpful.
Normally, if they have made a mistake in overcharging, they will refund without problem.
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

I don't have a problem with the Taxe d'habitation - I know I have paid the correct amout at the correct time (although I was surprised it hadn't gone up a bit this year). It's the Tax Foncieres I'm really concerned about. How have I missed out on that and what should I do about it?

(I did find this on the web that might just apply in my case: "Some new or newly restored properties are exempt from paying the Taxe Foncieres for the first two years. ")
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Hi webdoc, I'm in Amelie too and in the position that last year I got the taxe foncieres bill as it was sent to the UK - but late! And this year, no sign of a bill . I've been chasing it. was told by the tresor in Arles sur tech that it's the perpignan office which sends out the demand - but, all this by email, was given the RIB number and the amount . He said if the bill doesn't arrive by 5 october to do a virement into their account.

Perpignan also replied and it seems they had a wrong UK address so I may see one yet.

But I've never seen a bill for taxe d'habitation . So much so i was beginning to wonder if they were all rolled up into one bill!!
Olivier
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Olivier »

It is true that you do not get taxed for 2 years after the construction of a pool or an extension to your property. However, in the case of an extension , you will see an increase in the section relating to rubbish collection as soon as the extension is finished and you have returned the 'certificat d'achevement des travaux'. You will also receive a one off bill for the 'taxe d'urbanisme' which is paid in two, one after the completion of the work and the second 2 years after.
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

My place was completely refurbished by the previous owner, but the work was finished well over 2 years ago (? 4+) so they two year exemption should have run out by now. Should I just keep quiet and await events, or am I storing up trouble for myself? (I guess the same applies to Helen too.)
Any ideas anyone?
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

I suppose it depends what you mean by "refurbished" Webdoc.If it was just a question of a few internal improvements,decoratiing,rewiring etc,then I doubt if any new tax is to be paid.

On the otherhand if "Webdoc Towers" now is resplendant with pool,extension for snooker room,helipad etc,then,as you say,do you keep your mouth shut,or come clean?

After I did my house up in the UK,I did come clean ,but the council never troubled themselves to come round to check,so I lived and paid on the old rateable value for nearly 20 yrs before I sold up and moved here.

As with all in life...it's a gamble.