Rental Contract for Holiday Homes

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

Nigel Bright
Rank 3
Rank 3

Rental Contract for Holiday Homes

Post by Nigel Bright »

I would appreciate some advice re rental contracts for holiday homes. This is our first year of renting out our property and we were advised by the local tourist office to use a pre prepared form Kit saisonniere – location habitation saisonniere available at stationary shops.
I translated the form and all seemed quite straight forward, so we started issuing it. Then the questions started to arise.
After we sign the contract and send it out to prospective tenants what binds that contract, the signature or receiving the deposit?
If we send out the first rental contract for a specific weeks rental and then the prospective tenant delays signing the contract or paying the deposit, how long before we can send out a second contract to other people that are also interested in renting for those dates?
If we send out a second contract to a new prospective tenant and they sign it and pay the deposit what is to stop the first prospective tenant from signing their contract, paying the deposit and demanding compensation for non availability?
There is a Clause Resolutoire in the contract that mentions that in the absence of payment at the end or in case of the non execution of the one of the clauses of the present engagement, and eight days after an unfruitful injunction, the owner will be able to require the immediate cancellation of the present contract, but does this mean only after legal action?
Any help would be appreciated.[b][/b]
Brighty
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Hi Nigel
I have had the same problem. From what I have found, the French contract is the only valid contract.

I have translated the French contract but I require a signed version and that the Official Contract will be in French.

Chez Nous used to provide a legal contract for renting properties. Yet, neither the rentor nor the owner really are in any contract. I rent through an agent, so he only will write French contracts. That means that my off-season renting will have to be handled in French too. The Chez Nous type of contract will not provide any recourse if the rentor burns your property down to the ground.

I guess this hasn't helped your situation but at least giving some "Pro" for French Contracts.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Nigel Bright
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Nigel Bright »

Thanks for the info, I will check my insurance cover.
Brighty
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

blackduff wrote:Age and Treachery will overcome youth and skill.
Hey, I used to have that on the wall of my office!!
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rose »

We have been letting our house for 6 years and have never had a problem with people delaying the signing of the contract and sending a deposit. I send out two contracts and ask them to return one to me.

I took the contract from a book called "Letting French Houses." I also have an English contract. Would willingly help re advertising, letting and property management if you want to get in touch.
Nigel Bright
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Nigel Bright »

Rose, thanks for the offer I will keep it in mind. Does your English contract say anything about the contract becomes null and void if not signed and returned within a certain period?
Regards
Brighty
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rose »

NO