Which pool?

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

cufc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Which pool?

Post by cufc »

As total pool virgins, can anyone help us with suggestions about which type of pool and system to install?
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Which pool?

Post by polremy »

cufc wrote:As total pool virgins, can anyone help us with suggestions about which type of pool and system to install?
Ours was a Desjoyaux one. The branch we used is based in Boulou.
The pool itself is fine but there were a few niggles - some of the margelles (slabs round the edge) are a bit unevenly placed ;
the join in the liner is more obvious than it would have been if they had thought about which side to stick on top!! (the side nearest the house would have been the obvious choice).
The after care could have been a bit better!
A few months after the completion of the pool we had trouble with the pump - it just cut out due to flooding in the box (which is just below ground level) - it seems to be a design weakness.
Desjoyaux systems are unique - very neat with no poolhouse needed but susceptible to flooding around the pump.
We chose this system since our garden is very small and surrounded by neighbours - it was important to save space as we were in serious danger of barbecuing standing in the water!

The chap who originally sold the product came round to sort out our problem.
He was very friendly, put in the new pump and got everything working again.
He then proceeded to hand us a bill for an exorbitant amount. (I have blotted the exact amount from my memory - too painful and very unexpected)
When we argued, he tore the bill neatly into 16 little squares, placed it in his breast pocket, said the French equivalent of "dont come running to me if you have any more problems" and literally flounced off.
I think he had just been trying it on and didn't want to leave any evidence with us.

We've managed without him ever since.

The liner came with a 10 year guarantee.
Now, 13 years later, it has one small hole which we have managed to patch successfully.
It is also quite marked around the water line and we can't seem to get it clean.
I think we have done quite well and hope it will last for another couple of summers.

Hope this helps a bit.
Someone else might tell you about their experiences of tiled or painted pools.
cufc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cufc »

Thanks for that. Certainly food for thought.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Polremy's observations are interesting.

I'd advise anybody to think VERY hard before committing to a pool(esp a concrete/sunken one). We inherited it when we bought the house,and it cannot be denied that it's a very nice asset on a warm summers day.

But ,to put it bluntly,they are money magnets. Not only the installation,but the maintenance,cleaning,chemicals,etc. Also they are bl**dy hard work. Security is another issue. Baches/Abris are not cheap.

For the use we get out of ours (basically June-Sept) it is an expensive and time-consuming luxury. My wife and I are both agreed that if we move,we'll not bother with one in our next house.

If you do decide to go ahead,I can recommend Euro Piscines in Pollestres.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

An alternative could of course be a "semi-sunken" one in special wood with liner - which can be very attractive - but max depth is usually about 1m43cm which means no diving from the side!!
On the other hand, price of buying and installation is a big advantage and there is no increased rate (taxe fonçière) payable if the pool is classed as "removable".

If you google.fr piscines en bois semi-enterrées then look for pictures rather than websites, you can get a good idea of the types available then go to the website of your pictured choice.

Here's one simple example to give an idea
Course, if you prefer to use that option combined with sophistication,
you could go for something like this:
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Europiscine have changed ownership again - don't seem particualrly nice this time.
I would recommend Coral next to the Champion near Sorede. My husband works with him all the time and he is very good at what he does, very pro and his prices, both for building of pools and for products, are no worse than others! (I know that sounds a bit negative when I'm recommending someone, but John is right - they are an expensive luxury but well worth it if you can afford it just for the street cred and such great fun when it's hot!! ) Coral would give you all the advice you need on which pool to choose and why. Um....Not sure if he speaks English though.
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

I've got a fibre glass shell pool, and am fairly happy with it.

Pros -
Chemically inert
Waterproof
Long life
Low running costs

Cons -
Osmosis (google +polyester +osmosis )
Limited to smaller sizes

BTW, a friend with a Desjoyaux liner pool has just replaced the liner after about 12 years (it needed a couple of patches 5 years ago).

I've got some notes here : www.the-languedoc-page.com/property/pools.htm

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

"BTW, a friend with a Desjoyaux liner pool has just replaced the liner after about 12 years (it needed a couple of patches 5 years ago)."

That's interesting, Peter, - can you give me a rough idea of how much it cost to replace?
Did they use the Boulou place?
Think we'd better start saving up now.

Just looked at the link you quoted.
Excellent - down to earth and very informative.
Don't think our pool costs too much to run then - I love it.
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

Hi

Thanks. The pool notes were written by me, based on my experience.

The friends had about 5 estimates. They didn't use Desjoyaux ( and don't forget that they are a franchise ).

They are part timers, with little French, so we had to help over the winter whilst they were in UK.

The decision is complicated by access, thickness of liner, # years guarantee, material used, size and shape of pool, etc. Their pool is oval, about 9m X 3m max with fibreglass "roman" steps at one end.

I've emailed them, and will come back later with the eventual cost.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Thanks, Peter.
Ours is smaller - 6m x 3m plus a semicircular step area - yes, a Roman step thingy.
That also seems to be going a bit rusty in parts so will need repainting.
Didn't realise that other firms apart from Desjoyaux could redo the liner.
That sounds good.
Wouldn't want to meet our little napoleonic friend again.
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

Hi

Well I got it slightly wrong. They say that the pool is 8m X 4m(max) X 1.5m.

Desjoyaux quoted €2000 for a replacement liner.

They went for a more expensive option as they are not totally happy with their local Desjoyaux franchisee (Nr Montpellier), and the chosen option had a longer guarantee and used a thicker lining.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
cufc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cufc »

Thanks for all your thoughts, folks. I've run off your notes, Peter, which are really helpful! Cheers.
Steve
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Steve »

Hi there,

WE had a pool installed 2 years ago one of the fibreglass shells they just drop in a hole in the ground. Had it supplied & installed by Gemlo the people in the Auchan car park & now in Pollestres as well.

Got no complaints with any of it sales or installation, it does what it says on the packet. Its water in it & we swim in it.

The one thing I would advise is picking the time of year you place your order. When we ordered ours my wife insisted it was heated!!! with an automatic BIO UV system & water top up & Walu Pool security cover. All those extras came to best part of €10,000 when we had the quotation in the summer. We put off placing the order until March of the next year with the installation in the May. The salesman was desperate for an order so in the end he gave me the BIO UV system & the water top FOC, a nice discount of €3,800!!

Like Kate said it gives your street cred bonus points & is very convenient when warm.

On of the other reasons we chose the fibreglass option was the time fram in which they quoted for the installation. They quoted 5 days, started on the Monday morning & I went in on the Saturday morning.

Steve