Selling your property privately

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Selling your property privately

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Advice please.. If you sell your property yourself and no agent involved, what do you do? does the Vendor just find a Notaire, does the Notaire draught a CDV? Does the seller have to do anything?
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

I would go to the notaire that you used when you originally bought the property. He will still have your file. Take the buyer with you if he is willing and take it from there. Presume the notaire will draw up the compromis for you and might even arrange the diagnostic tests.
Must say we were glad that we had an agent to come with us to the notaire's office - not that she actually did anything really - it just felt comforting somehow.
By the way, no luck on the taxe d'habitation front.
We will have to pay for the whole of 2011 even though things will probably be finalised in February. (Fingers, toes and everything else crossed!!!!)
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

We bought ours privately. The vendor found the Notaire who did everything. As buyers we used a solicitor who understood French law but it was not necessary and something we would not do again.
If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

And be careful if you've had agents advertising the property. You need to be sure that your purchasers haven't been involved in a search with that agent, even if they didn't come and see your house with them.

Love the new sig, Kath! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Dead right Thumbers. If the prospective buyers have any connection at all via an agent then the seller has to pay the agency fees.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

How about me, the "buyer". Will I get any reduction or part of the commission the seller saves? So far I have never seen anyone say why I should buy through someone who is going without an agent.

Thumbs was reminding about previous agents, etc.. This is a serious danger. I have a friend who was in court for seven years proving that the agent wasn't involved.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Our seller had his property with agencies but we did not know this until after we had approached him via his private advertisement. We paid less for it but this was through negotiation.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

I was looking at buildings on the beach, looking for some property. Just by chance, a guy started to talk to us and he mentioned having an apartment for sale. We walked over to his place and we looked around inside. He mentioned the price and we all had a few sips of Muscat. Then we left.

The next day we called to him and decided to make a deal. This is when we found that there's an agent involved. It did work out, since the agent agreed to reduce his fee-he really wasn't part of the sale. In the end, we all found the amount we wanted. Plus, this agent has been my rental agent now too.

So, for my viewpoint, an agent can be a good part of a sale.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

No agents involved at all, our possible buyer is from Australia, and saw my private ad, just wasn't sure what would be involved, if she bought could she sign anything before she returns back to Australia and before diagnostics are done, she is extremely keen to get things going should she like the house "in the flesh", it will be a cash sale.
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I've sent you a pm
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

so have I!
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

so have I!
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I haven't :lol:
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Kate wrote:I haven't :lol:
why not?
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

oh to be popular....although all ok..

carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Surely if your buyer has had no contact with any agent no fees will be payable. I sold my house myself through an advert in frenchpropertynews, to a couple who lived in Cambodia. I did have it on with one agent, I think, but the buyers replied to my advert. I simply told the agent that I had found a buyer myself and that was that
We used the same notaire that I had used when buying the house and he organised everything. Both sides gave him power of attorney and we did not have to attend the Acte.
AS it was my sole residence, there was no value added tax to pay and I received the funds, after payment of my mortgage , within a couple of weeks.