Fossil hunting

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

Phipplebert

Fossil hunting

Post by Phipplebert »

Does anyone know of any good areas around here to take a mad keen 5 year old dinosaur / fossil hunter?
He came across his first ammonite in the P O by accident and now has a taste for it. In the uk the sites are well known and whilst I don't imagine we are going to find a P O version of Lyme Regis, I'm hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction of potential sites that I could take him to.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Fossil hunting

Post by Allan »

Phipplebert wrote:Does anyone know of any good areas around here to take a mad keen 5 year old dinosaur / fossil hunter?
He came across his first ammonite in the P O by accident and now has a taste for it. In the uk the sites are well known and whilst I don't imagine we are going to find a P O version of Lyme Regis, I'm hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction of potential sites that I could take him to.
Nidoléres not far from you is a known fossil site.

You might also want to take him to the Dinosaur museum at Esperaza which is an ongoing excavation.
http://www.dinosauria.org
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

There's a huge site just over the border, south of Bourg Madame. Apparently it is one of the biggest exposed examples of dinosaur tracks in the world. It was only discovered quite recently and is in the Cadi Park Natural. It's awesome. Could probably be done as a longish day trip.

Mary

PS just found the name. Google Fumanya.
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

Thank you...some great replies. We will try some of these. Nidoleres is only down the road, so probably a good place to start...lets hope he finds some more!