Bird tapping on window!

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

CD
Rank 3
Rank 3

Bird tapping on window!

Post by CD »

The last week or so we've been plagued by a little yellow bird tapping on our lounge windows.

I believe it might be a grey wagtail from looking at photos on t'internet.

Our lounge windows are well shaded due to the thickness of the stone walls, so I was wondering if this is a male bird doing battle with his reflection in the glass.

It taps a few times then flies away, only to repeat it a few minutes later.

Poor thing must have a terrible headache!

What say you, budding ornithologists?

Chris
CPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPB »

Spring is on the way...I would imagine he / she is mate hunting.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

We had that last year, ramming into our French windows. I felt so worried for it, it must certainly have been doing itself harm. It went on over several weeks. One day I opened the doors and it eventually flew into the house, causing all kind of other problems (amazing how much sh-t can come out of one bird!). Another time it must have stunned itself and just sat on the garden table outside the window, not moving for about an hour.
Eventually it just stopped coming.
I asked about it at the time on the forum and got quite a few informative replies tho I cant find the thread right now.
The most logical one to me follows Celine's comments above. Someone said that they see themselves in the window and think it's a mate. Love to hear any other opinions though.
Ariègeoise
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ariègeoise »

It's most likely to be a blue tit or a great tit - this is particularly typical of their behaviour. (I've never, personally, experienced a grey wagtail doing what you're describing, Celine, but who knows!)

At this time of year the territorial instinct is at its peak and all birds are busy claiming and defending their chosen breeding territory. Your bird is nesting nearby - it sees its reflection in your window and thinks its a rival in love, so tries to drive it away by pecking at it!

Typical male, really :lol: . Ducks behind the sofa ...
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Put up a photo of Jeremy Clarkson !
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
CD
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CD »

I understand now. The little b-gg-r has been sent by a higher power to help me through the change to summer time this weekend.

Started at 6:30 this morning! Couldn't get back to sleep with all the tapping, so I'm up rather earlier than usual.

Did consider opening the window for a millisecond, but I can still remember the chaos caused when one of our cats managed to hook a dove in through the window back in the UK...

A lesser spotted Clarkson would have destroyed the window by now, and I have no desire to see him wagging his tail!
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Never mind wagtails: I had a cock pheasant doing it last year (in Normandy) and really did think it might break the window. Those guys think they are the dog's ......., not without reason.
rogb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rogb »

Sparrows do it too. We tried discouraging them from tapping last year with cling-film and cable ties, without much success.