Reeves Pheasant

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

CD
Rank 3
Rank 3

Reeves Pheasant

Post by CD »

Not quite sure if this should be in "the Great Outdoors" or "Pets" section.

We have a male Reeves Pheasant that appears to be trying to adopt us. It has been around in the early evenings the last few days and been following me around the garden.

There is a bit of damage to the tip of his beak and some of his tail feathers have seen better days. but he is the most beautiful of birds.

We're wondering if it has escaped from a private aviary in the area - there are more in captivity than in the wild.

According to the 2008 edition of Guinness World Records they have the longest natural tail feather of any bird species (up to 2.4m!)

They are presumably quite good eating too, but we don't want an opportunist chef claiming it for a decent meal! Especially as they are evaluated as Vulnerable on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.

We have contacted a local man that has an aviary to see if it was his, but apparently it is not. He also said he would take it if we would catch it and deliver it, but they can be quite aggressive and have a pair of spurs on their feet, so I don't really fancy that!

Any keen bird keepers out there that would fancy having it? It would need an aviary of at least 25 square meters.

Look the bird up on the internet, it's really interesting.

Chris
CD
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CD »

Here's a photo of him:

CPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPB »

Can I just add to this ornamental pheasants look lovely but do not bormally mix well with others. Don't just pop it in an aviary with other birds and 'hope for the best' please research before :)

On another note, I understand there is an ornamental pheasant breeder in the area but I'm not sure where...maybe info online?
rogb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rogb »

Stunning looking bird. Try contacting the Ligue for Protection of Oiseaux for advice? Seems the pheasants were originally introduced into France by the shooting fraternity.