Biting Insects

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

John & Maria
Rank 0
Rank 0

Biting Insects

Post by John & Maria »

Can anybody tell me what we have in our garden this autumn,which feast on uncovered legs ? In the last twelve years we have had no problems,except the odd mosquito,but last week on a visit to the house,we were left covered in bites to our legs while tidying in the garden,eventually having to resort to a deet based spray to keep them at bay.Hopefully they will disappear after the winter.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

ants?

I am sensitive to formic acid? When I had a potager I would have to use antihistamine almost daily.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

We have loads of flying ants at the moment.
Dylan
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

ant bites

Post by monsans »

APAISYL gel excellent lotion for immediate relieve from any sort of insect
bite including wasp stings. Takes about 2 mins.
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

DEET ?

Post by rhys »

What is the Deet based spray and where do you get it ?

I thought it had been banned.

I have read ( and also seen a programme on French tv ) that there is supposed to be a big and increasing problem of TICs, said to be esp prevalent in the Pyrenees.........

I also have a friend whose life has been absolutely diminished by illnesses diagnosed ( eventually ) as Lyme disease caused by a tic........so I do know the problem is real and well worth taking precautions against.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: DEET ?

Post by martyn94 »

rhys wrote:What is the Deet based spray and where do you get it ?

I thought it had been banned.

I have read ( and also seen a programme on French tv ) that there is supposed to be a big and increasing problem of TICs, said to be esp prevalent in the Pyrenees.........

I also have a friend whose life has been absolutely diminished by illnesses diagnosed ( eventually ) as Lyme disease caused by a tic........so I do know the problem is real and well worth taking precautions against.
I use a brand called "jungle formula": no better than any other DEET-based product, but well priced, and available in a range of strengths. It is available by mail, along with much else, here
http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk

Again, I'm sure that there other sources, but I have found them reliable, and again well priced. I get my anti-hay-fever pills there (loratidine) at a third the price of a pharmacy here.

But make sure to quote my name so I get my commission.