Remember cleaning all those bugs off your windscreen in the 80's and 90's?

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

Richard and Sharon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Remember cleaning all those bugs off your windscreen in the 80's and 90's?

Post by Richard and Sharon »

For me back then, it was more often a helmet visor, but the the significance is the same.

I read a thought provoking article this morning, primarily about the decline of insect populations, but the message went much deeper. A fascinating but very sobering read that drove home to me how the narcissistic attitude of "civilised" society trying to manage nature to meet our own ends is actually mis-managing nature to potentially bring about our own end.

Being a keen sea angler and son of a commercial fisherman, I am acutely aware or how few fish are caught off our shores these days and how much smaller they generally are. I'm also conscious of the toxic practices employed in fish farming to optimise profitability and how that is not a healthy solution to world hunger or even the basis of a healthy meal for us. These, whilst being a digression from bugs, are further indicators of the same problems.

I certainly do not consider myself a tree hugger and neither wish to be labelled a harbinger of doom, but I do think the linked article deserves a read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/27/maga ... lypse.html
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Remember cleaning all those bugs off your windscreen in the 80's and 90's?

Post by Kate »

A few years ago, out for lunch in one of the many delightful fish restaurants in Port Vendres, we commented on how very fresh the fish was, and how reassuring it was to eat local fish straight out of the sea onto your plate.
“Oh no” the patron told us.”if we bought our fish on the quais it would cost us a fortune and we would have to pass it on to you. We get ours from Rungis, in Paris and it’s delivered by refrigerated lorry! » ( apologies. Haven’t read the article yet. This is just following on from your comments above.
Rombolo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Remember cleaning all those bugs off your windscreen in the 80's and 90's?

Post by Rombolo »

Unashamed tree hugger here....just wanted to suggest that if more people were tree huggers, the natural world and environment would not be in the crisis that it is in now.
I for one support the direct action taken in London this week as this gets the government's attention as many of these protesters are the next voters and tax payers!