Demise of my pine trees?

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Demise of my pine trees?

Post by Kathy »

Last year we chopped out lots of chenille nests from our pine trees without spoiling them too much however, last week when we visited they were back nesting with a vengence. This latest operation has left the pine trees looking very thin and we think if we have to do this again next year we will be left with totem poles not trees. We are thinking of planting something near to them that will give us privacy but not too invasive just in case we have to lose them next year. They are located on a steep banking. Has anyone any suggestions as what would be the best option? I cannot find any advice on how to eradicate the chenille processionalles without cutting off the nests and burning them.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Today, using my Rothenberger gas blowlamp
http://www.letorex.com.pl/dane/rothenbe ... 1800oc.jpg
I torched a line of about 30 of the beasties crossing our garden .
The advantage of a blowlamp is you annihilate the hairs instantly before they can do any damage, then you roast the bearers to cinders!!
Keep a sharp eye open for others!!

Start at the front of the line and move quickly along to the end to eliminate the hairs first then repeat slower to complete the job!
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Glad you have got more of the blighters. A blowtorch is a good idea, my hubby risks getting this rash by using a shovel to get them in a pile for cremation.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

They make it convenient, themselves, for a blowtorch narrow flame by staying in a line!! You can do it too - even on the tree if you're careful to move the flame quickly over the bark!!! You get the hairs, they drop to the ground where you finish them off!! Normally I'm not a killer of "nature" but those things!!!!

Tip: on the tree they must be in line going up or down on the main trunk (never do this up in the branches, of course!!) as they are coming up or down in a line, start flaming at the top of the procession line and work quickly down the line to the lower end or you risk the ones at the top dropping too early from the reduced heat coming up, which means the hairs may still be active and fly about as they fall = BAD NEWS!!
PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog »

One of the tricks I did in the Conflent which worked.

Put a band around the base of the tree's. I used the sticky Ali that I had left from sealing the Boiler Chimney.

They cannot get the grip to climb up, never had any infestations after.
Renewed it each autumn.
Michael
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

The beasties are said to eject hairs when they get stressed - which is why I use my flamethrower!
PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog »

Roger!!
They are not the only ones!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Michael