easy walk

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

easy walk

Post by rbg »

Anyone know an easy walk ( with a granny and two buggies) between Argeles and Ceret environs...
Length about 1.5 hours to 2 hours with nice scenery and not too much traffic?
A circuit if possible?
Thanks!
Arthur and Lyn
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Arthur and Lyn »

Hi
The two buggies may be a problem, don't know about the granny as Lyn and I are grandparents but do lots of walking.Part the problem is ( actually most of the problem) is that its now really hot. This morning we took Millie to the etang at St nazaire and walked on the paths around there for an hour in a circuit, then across to the beach ( which they allow dogs on for a swim. Or alternatively take the car up to the Tour de madeloc and have a walk around there, but watch the heat its a killer, lots of fluid.
Arthur :lol: :lol:
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Easy walk

Post by carol sheridan »

The nicest walk I have found is along the river at Laval. The little road to Laval is a left turn off the Argeles -Sorede road, going towards Sorede (I am away from home, so don't have my maps with me.) You can park near the bridge over the river then walk for about 2 kms, with lovely views of a rushing river, surrounded by tree-clad mountains, until you come to the bar, where you can get food and drinks. The road is quite good enough for buggies and this great grand-mother even climbs down to the river and does some adventuring with stepping stones!
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Carole when you get home can you be more specific with directions please. When you say the Argeles-Sorede road do you mean the old road?This walk sound good.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Kathy wrote:Carole when you get home can you be more specific with directions please.
When you say the Argeles-Sorede road do you mean the old road?This walk sound good.
Kathy - here's a link to Google maps
http://maps.google.fr/maps?f=q&hl=fr&ge ... 11487&z=12

I centered on Saint-André as this produces a better overview.
You see below La Pave and Lavall.
Take the old road from Argeles Village out under the bridge towards Sorède.
The turning off to Lavall is about half way to Sorède on your left.
There is a signpost to Lavall - but easy to miss if you're driving fast.. er..

If you click on + to zoom in on the portion of road with the turnoff,
you can see it better. Hope this helps, Roger

PS - if you click on Satellite on the Google page, you can really Zoom in and get a pictoral idea of your walk.
This part of the PO happens to be one of those with high SAT definition!
It gets a bit blurred only at highest magnification.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

An other method would be to drive South from St.Andre towards the mountains. From the Intermarche, there's a road which goes direct to Lavail.

If you're coming from the Argeles/Sorede route. The corner for Lavail goes towards the mountains. There's horses on one corner and if you pass the Coral Piscine factory, you've missed the route.

There are two very nice chapels on this route. They're worth checking.

http://www.pyreneesmediterraneanliving. ... 06_JPG.htm

http://www.pyreneesmediterraneanliving. ... 08_JPG.htm

http://www.pyreneesmediterraneanliving. ... e1_jpg.htm

The corner with the horses on this photo.

http://www.pyreneesmediterraneanliving. ... 01_jpg.htm

There's a creperie at Lavail too. The first chapel is a walk up from the road. It's a bit of a trek but it's worth the trouble. The other chapel is in the village of Lavail.

Lavail is part of Sorede.

Blackduff
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Easy walk

Post by carol sheridan »

I found the way out of Argeles quite confusing, so I head towards St. Andre from the roundabout, then get into a left filter after about 100 m, which is signed something like 'zone d'activities'. This is quite a rough little road past a caravan storage site but it brings you onto the old Argeles-Sorede road. Turn right and then left after about 200 m, signed 'Laval'. From memory, I think the old road is the D2.
Last edited by carol sheridan on Sun 29 Jun 2008 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

There might be another walk around Argeles. From the village, take the road which goes up to the Notre Dame de Vie. During to the chapel you will see the Ferme du Bonheur, which as a lot of animals which are kept for their pension. Kids love to visit the Ferme du Bonheur.

Here's the official direction.

Pour accéder à l'Ermitage en partant d'Argelès, prendre la direction de Sorède aux feux tricolores de la Route Nationale, passer sous le pont de chemin de fer, longer le cimetière sur la droite (route notre Dame de Vie), emprunter le chemin " Sainte-Madeleine " et passer sous le pont de la RN 114.

Continuer tout droit. A 200 mètres à gauche, suivre la direction de Notre-Dame-de-Vie

L'Ermitage Notre-Dame-de-Vie, entouré d'une forêt de chênes verts et chênes lièges, est situé en haut d'un promontoire qui offre un très beau point de vue sur la plaine du Roussillon.

This can be walked from the train station but it may be possible to drive all of the way up to the top. A-D has some information about the Ferme du Bonheur.

Blackduff
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Easy walk

Post by blackduff »

carol sheridan wrote:I found the way out of Argeles quite confusing, so I head towards St. Andre from the roundabout, then get into a left filter after about 100 m, which is signed something like 'zone d'activities'. This is quite a rough little road past a caravan storage site but it brings you onto the old Argeles-Sorede road. Turn right and then left after about 200 m, signed 'Laval'. From memory, I think the old road is the D2.
Carol
If you're on the roundabout in St. Andre (@ Intermarche) take the road to head direct to the mountains. Don't use any special signs~just keep going towards the mountains. There will be a bit of urbanization called Pave but keep driving. Then eventually your going to meet the Argeles/Sorede route. Lavail is direct forward.

Blackduff
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Thanks all, duly printed off the google map and made notes for reference.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Kathy
The top of Lavail is the beginning of the Massane river. It will build and it's quite special until it arrives in Argeles, where it will spread about a bit. It certainly is a good start with the Massane. This river cuts through the granite rocks and gives a fairly drop onto Argeles.

Here's a few songs about Massane. Check this photo.

http://www.pyreneesmediterraneanliving. ... 15_JPG.htm

When I heard the two guys with the drums, I had no way they would have arrived on the face of the cliff. I photos of the two guys from the other side of the Massane.

Although I live in Sorede, I still think this area is magic. The rivers can provide your whole summer visiting all of these place. Laroque has a lot of Trou d'eau on the river above the village. Higher in the "Happy Valley" in Sorede has their own amounts of trou d'eau too.

Fantsatic!

Blackduff