Gently sloping beaches

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

edann42
Rank 4
Rank 4

Gently sloping beaches

Post by edann42 »

Can anyone tell me, please, where there are beaches close to Argeles that slope gently into the sea??? We have a disabled visitor coming and Argeles and Racou beaches are too steep for him to easily get in and out of the water!

Edwin
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

We go to Canet Plage with the grandchildren and that is a lovely beach and easily accessable, altho July/August, very busy.
rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rbg »

Yes, Canet is probably your best bet - the northern end ( near the marina) is very sheltered and shallow - you can walk out for about 50m and still be at knee depth.
Perfect for children also
Rivesaltes Johnny
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rivesaltes Johnny »

I would suggest the Lac at Villeneuve de la Raho. It has a car park with easy access to a small and often not very crowded beach area that also offers some shade with pine trees.

My wife is an MS sufferer and so the short walk from the car to the beach is ideal and then the Lake itself has a very gently sloping shelf and the water is also a bit warmer than the sea.

There is a selection of bars and food places but the quality is pretty poor but good for a cooling drink or ice cream. Views of the distant Canigou and adjacent hills are a stunning backdrop.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

I'm no marine geologist,and I've absolutely no idea why,but it always seems to me that the beaches on the Spanish side shelve much less sharply. For example Colera, Llanca, Puerto de la Selva and all the ones round bay of Roses as far as L'Escala are very slowly shelving(need to walk over 50m just to get knees wet in some cases!
edann42
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by edann42 »

Thankyou all very much!

Edwin
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

gently sloping beach

Post by polremy »

i have heard that at the lac at villeneuve de la rajo the restaurant "galapagos" (not sure about the spelling) is good for both atmosphere and view. The food is meant to be good too - it was paella last time we were there. There is even live music on certain nights. Mondays definitely and maybe other nights too.
Chantal
Rank 2
Rank 2

gently sloping beaches

Post by Chantal »

Yes the lac is popular. can't say abt the food. went once only (cream tents with pointed tops) - nothing particular then; but a pleasant waitress.
however, be prepared for the 'modern curse' : it's been pop/rock, whatever it is these days, as you eat and/or drink. be aware that dogs are not permitted on the beach.

Canet can be rough. several accidents/drownings reported every year (including 2 yesterday. mind you rescue was fast in with the whole lot: lifeguards, helicopter, firemen, police, gendarmerie, and medics).
Problem with Canet is the undercurrent, and people not taking heed of the big red board that says 'baignade interdite' near the rocks.

Chantal