English Style Sliced Bread

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

English Style Sliced Bread

Post by Daphne »

I remember a while ago comments regarding sliced bread as near to English as you can get here. I can't remember what it is called or where it can be purchased. I am trying to organise a tea party for our Grandson and want to make it as authentically English as possible. Any recommendations very welcome, thanks.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Carrefour at Laroque have it. Think it's called Enlish bread or something equally suptle :lol: They also have crumpets and pikies (is that the right word or have I just made it up?)
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

The Carrefour Market stuff is not like English though. In the summer months (too late now) they sell it at La Sirene Campsite. There is a Harry's bread that someone mentioned being like English but can't remember which Harry's as they do loads. I get mine in Spain.
Dylan
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

English style bread

Post by Daphne »

Thanks Kate and Sue. Sue, where do you buy your bread in Spain as we go frequently but would have to go to Laroque especially.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Mercadona, Figueres. Its called sandwich grande. Why grande I dont know, although the slices are the same size as a standard UK sliced loaf there are about as half as many. The bonus is it is not sweet and does give you a half decent sandwich. Having said that a ready sliced boule is pretty darned good too.
Dylan
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

our local Carrefour (Quillan, Aude)
has Genuine English White Sliced Bread every Autumn in the Freezer. They also carry a few other Frozen English Delights. Back Bacon. Spicy Whitby Prawns, Birdseye Steak Pies to name a few.....
My Lad has 2 slices toasted with Roses Lime Marmalade every Saturday Breakfast as his treat!!!!
Last edited by montgolfiere on Fri 03 Oct 2014 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

In Spain
Bimbo white sliced ( long life )
Or on the fresh counter in the supermarket (Carrefour , figures) some nice breads similar to bakers loafs in uk.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Good luck. But I'm doubtful how "authentically English" the result will be. Sandwiches first became fashionable in the UK about 1770. Loaf-at-a-time slicers came in (from the US) in the 1930s. The Chorleywood process - the basis for the specially limp-and-soggy character of modern UK industrial bread - came in the 1960s. Not at all the sort of stuff they ate at tea time at Downton Abbey.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

But Bimbo? Seriously? Does it mean something meaningful or bread related in another language by any chance or was a just an unfortunate choice of name? Makes me think of Pshitt and Sic lemonade brands which kept me amused for years when I was younger. Still buy Chateau d'Arse wine just for the name..... Very immature sense of humour. :lol: :lol:
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Sliced bread

Post by Daphne »

Thanks for all your ideas. I can't stand Bimbo. It was the first industrialised bread in Spain as far back as about 1968. I'll try Mercadona's sliced bread. It will be only be a one off buy as I eat graines & céréales bread on the rare occasion that I eat it.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Mercadona do a lovely black bread with pumpkin or some sort of seed in it. Much more gentle on my stomach than the white bread. :oops:
Dylan
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Would ypu like an english style birthday cake.....car/train/spiderman? Buttercream and roll ice top, candles ....the works.

I can send ypu photos of recentbworks......for friends/family,absolutly not part of my business,pure pleasure.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.