Gas cooker servicing

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

joffan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Gas cooker servicing

Post by joffan »

Hi, I have a Falcon gas cooker (cuisinière piano) that could do with a service, does anyone know who I could contact for this?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

You could try asking Falcon. But I have had gas cookers, off and on, for almost 50 years, and I've no idea what a service would amount to, or how you would know that you need one.
joffan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by joffan »

Thank you Martyn, we know that we need a service because the burners are not working as well as they could be and there is some evidence of rust. We have already considered Falcon but thought that we could find someone local to look at it.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

joffan wrote:Thank you Martyn, we know that we need a service because the burners are not working as well as they could be and there is some evidence of rust. We have already considered Falcon but thought that we could find someone local to look at it.
I don't know about rust (which seems like an issue for Falcon: either their warranty or "vices cachés") but any plumber could probably clean or change the gas jets. Or just prod about with the end of a paper clip: a hob I bought many years ago gave you a fine wire to clean the finer jets, but that sort of customer intervention seems to have gone out of fashion, no doubt for good reason. Otherwise, it might be useful to grease the valves, but who knows from what you've said. Anything more seems likely to involve ripping it apart

You can usually adjust the minimum heat, on the hob, by pulling the knob off and adjusting the set screw which you will find to one side.
joffan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by joffan »

Thanks again Martyn, as it is gas and therefore a problem if it goes wrong, we are looking for a professional who can sign off on it.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

joffan wrote:Thank you Martyn, we know that we need a service because the burners are not working as well as they could be and there is some evidence of rust. We have already considered Falcon but thought that we could find someone local to look at it.
By way of afterthought, I was only suggesting that you might ask Falcon if they could recommend someone, locally, to work on their rigs. Most firms can, if you ask.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

joffan wrote:Thanks again Martyn, as it is gas and therefore a problem if it goes wrong, we are looking for a professional who can sign off on it.
I think any plumber round here is certified to work on gas. What do you want: a PhD in Falconology?
joffan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by joffan »

Martyn, all I want is someone local who can service a Falcon cooker. I think that you have offered me everything but that. If anyone can recommend a service engineer I would appreciate the contact details.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

joffan wrote:Martyn, all I want is someone local who can service a Falcon cooker. I think that you have offered me everything but that. If anyone can recommend a service engineer I would appreciate the contact details.
I've said it before, but I guess it does no harm to say it again: if anyone knows who can service a Falcon cooker (whatever exactly "servicing" amounts to), you might think that Falcon might be your first port of call to ask. God knows they are gaudy and expensive enough to justify some after-sales service. I can't see why you're so coy: did you nick it?
joffan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by joffan »

How rude!
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

You could try the English helpline for starters:
http://www.falconappliances.com/falcon- ... pares.aspx

Although some spare parts are available to the public on-line. Check this out:
http://www.partmaster.co.uk/falcon/cook ... ath=249862

Of course one doesn't want to risk a leak but (in my humble, unqualified opinion) the only bits liable to leak are where the appliance is connected to the gas supply, and the control knobs.

Fiddling with the burners can't cause a leak as they're not connected when the knobs are turned off. I was forever removing and cleaning the burners on our gas hob before we went all modern and ceramic.

The link above suggests that burners corroding and clogging is not uncommon which is why they are selling replacements to the public.

The English helpline might give you a clue as to whether it's acceptable for you to fiddle with the burners yourself.
joffan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by joffan »

Webdoc - thanks that is all very helpful, I will follow it up
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

joffan wrote:Webdoc - thanks that is all very helpful, I will follow it up

And also obvious and very easy, which is not to diss Webdoc, who has been staggeringly patient.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

joffan wrote:How rude!
You must have lived a very sheltered life.
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

martyn94 wrote:And also obvious and very easy, which is not to diss Webdoc, who has been staggeringly patient.
I am not "staggeringly patient", I was merely offering an unqualified option in response to a request for help from someone with a healthier respect for gas than me. I freely offer my opinion when I hope it can be of some help.

On those odd occasions when people ask questions that appear daft to me then I just don't respond and certainly don't make critical comments that sour the tone of this forum.

I have been a contributor to this forum, on and off, for 12 years and, with luck, will continue to be so for another 12 years. I wonder if the outlook is as hopeful for some other current members.

Those of us who have been here for years known the rules. If you rock the boat too much you will either be asked to leave or be thrown overboard. It happens every 3 years or so and last happened 4+ years ago. What more can I say?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

[quote="Webdoc"What more can I say?[/quote]

I'm sure you could manage something if you tried. You have been pretty eloquent so far.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

This thread has become a bit ratty, and I accept my share of blame. Webdoc is right that there is nothing you can easily do, and almost certainly nothing that you need to do, which could present any hazard.

If you have a dishwasher, take off everything on your stove that you can lift off, and wash it all on your hottest wash. If you don't have a dishwasher, soak it all overnight in the hottest possible soapy water. Rinse well and leave to dry. Report back if it's no better.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Or maybe just change the gas bottle, if that's what you use. I've been there.
scotty210
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by scotty210 »

Martyn, I know that many forum members will probably agree with me when I ask, why must you always be so obnoxious? Do you honestly not realise that you are being that way?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

scotty210 wrote:Martyn, I know that many forum members will probably agree with me when I ask, why must you always be so obnoxious? Do you honestly not realise that you are being that way?
Other forum members can speak for themselves, by PM if they choose. On the whole they don't seem to want to bother. I do post a lot, usually inoffensively, and occasionally helpfully. (About 350 times a year, compared to your 6-and-a-bit, so maybe my quality control sometimes slips a bit). When I'm being obnoxious, I hope that I am generally aware of the fact. Even that can be helpful, in its way.
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

martyn94 wrote:When I'm being obnoxious, I hope that I am generally aware of the fact.
This perhaps is the crux of the matter. Martyn KNOWS that he's occasionally obnoxious but because the majority of the time he isn't then, in his eyes, it's acceptable. Other observers may feel otherwise. It's a shame really as he has proven himself to be very knowledgeable about many aspects of French life.

Those familiar with this forum will know from the front page that it's divided into 24 sections. The sharp eyed will also note that the right-hand column indicates who has had "the last word" in each section. For many months Martyn has consistently had "the last word" in 8-10 of the 24. Some might conclude that he's dedicated to help his fellow man; others might think he should get out more.

As I've already alluded, I known how this story ends..............
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Webdoc wrote:
Those familiar with this forum will know from the front page that it's divided into 24 sections. The sharp eyed will also note that the right-hand column indicates who has had "the last word" in each section. For many months Martyn has consistently had "the last word" in 8-10 of the 24. Some might conclude that he's dedicated to help his fellow man; others might think he should get out more.

For what it's worth I am now very reluctant to post anything on this forum. I've had a few run-ins with this guy and, quite frankly, I'm fed up with him. If I can help people I send my thoughts directly via a PM.

Gus
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

As for me, I'm keeping out of it! Past experience tells me that I'll be damned if I do and damned if I don't.....
Have a lovely weekend everyone. The sun is shining, it's warm but not too warm :lol: Go make hay!! :lol:
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Gus Morris wrote:
Webdoc wrote:

For what it's worth I am now very reluctant to post anything on this forum. I've had a few run-ins with this guy and, quite frankly, I'm fed up with him. If I can help people I send my thoughts directly via a PM.

Gus
Heaven save me from re-reading our past exchanges, but I don't recall you as being especially emollient. Which is entirely fine by "this guy".
joffan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by joffan »

I finally asked a guy who repairs all sorts of electrical appliances and he serviced the cooker and sourced some new burners for us.

Happy to pass on his details if anyone needs a great repairman.