Weather patterns

Info and interesting facts on weather issues

Moderator: Moderators

graham34
Rank 3
Rank 3

Weather patterns

Post by graham34 »

There's a saying I've heard from several local sources (mid-Herault area) that if you can see Canigou/the Pyrenees then it will rain within 3 days. Had a clear view from above Magalas on Thursday (125 Km away) and its raining now = Sunday morning.

I've noticed this 3 day pattern before. Is there a meteorological explanation for it - wind stopping while it shifts direction perhaps?
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Weather patterns

Post by Sav »

graham34 wrote:There's a saying I've heard from several local sources (mid-Herault area) that if you can see Canigou/the Pyrenees then it will rain within 3 days. Had a clear view from above Magalas on Thursday (125 Km away) and its raining now = Sunday morning.

I've noticed this 3 day pattern before. Is there a meteorological explanation for it - wind stopping while it shifts direction perhaps?
Hi graham :)

A very interesting observation & one perhaps you can peruse over a certain time frame.
Weather forecasting is never easy, even 2-3 day's ahead.
How easy is it to get up to Magalas & can you do it on a regular basis
Perhaps make a note of weather conditions merci ;)

Cheers Sav :)
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

That's interesting, Graham.

Down here, they say that the Tram blows in increments of three days. It would be interesting to learn why or how these expressions came about, wouldn't it? All that Wikipedia says is
Les habitants de la région Languedoc-Roussillon parlent d'une règle des 3,6,9 qui dirait que quand la tramontane se lève, elle peut souffler 3 jours, 6 jours, ou 9 jours.
:roll: :roll: :roll: which, of course, we already knew! lol :D :roll:
graham34
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by graham34 »

Don't need to journey the 30 Km to Magalas to see Canigou Sav, although at 140 Km away from the road going out of the village having snow on top helps.

Took this in April last year. The water tower is at Adissan.

I find 6-7 day forecasts for around here (central Herault valley) generally fairly reliable at a crude level - events may slip a day, rain may turn out to be light no heavy etc. but certainly useful.

I suspect being in the PO is less predictable due to the proximity of the Pyrenees.
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

graham34 wrote: I suspect being in the PO is less predictable due to the proximity of the Pyrenees.
Being closer to the mountains can vary the weather in places, some days you can see the clouds & stormy looking weather hovering over the Alberes, but rarely does it encroach further down.

Nice to see they are building a link road for the A75 in Pezenas ;)

Cheers Sav :)