Pine Processionary Caterpillars Pet and Human Risk

Post all topics on our furry 4 legged friends here.

Moderator: Moderators

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Pine Processionary Caterpillars Pet and Human Risk

Post by Smiley G »

Despite no evidence of nests in the pine trees, this week we have seen a procession of caterpillars on the footpath between Residence Maeva and the ATM at Port Argelès.
Last Autumn there was NO helicopter spraying of the pine trees.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Processionary
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Pine Processionary Caterpillars Pet and Human Risk

Post by Allan »

Smiley G wrote:Despite no evidence of nests in the pine trees, this week we have seen a procession of caterpillars on the footpath between Residence Maeva and the ATM at Port Argelès.
Last Autumn there was NO helicopter spraying of the pine trees.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Processionary
Kick the front of the line round to the back and they will all go round in a circle.

We had some nests, I just cut them out and burned them.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Anyone got any info on what effect they can have on humans?
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Risk to humans

Post by Smiley G »

The caterpillars have orange brown backs with bluish grey bands and bluish grey protrusions in pairs at each segment, these protrusions have little bunches of hairs “growing” from them and it is these “hairs” that can be a danger. These irritant hairs contain a highly allergenic protein which in humans can cause reactions ranging from mild itching to anaphylactic shock, all contact with sensitive skin regions, your mouth, nose or eyes should be avoided. Show caution with your animals, dogs in particular may sniff them and this should be avoided at all cost, Necrosis of the tongue has been observed in some domestic animals and severe swelling may occur causing breathing difficulties
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

A few years ago I helped clear and burn branches with nests in, careful not to touch the nests themselves. Duly warned, I wore gloves, tucked my trousers into my socks, and wore a nylon cagoule with the hood up. Job done I thought. An hour or two after finishing, my neck started to itch, and under my chin. Soon I had weals of raised red itchy skin all round my neck. I went to ask at the pharmacy what to put on it, and they recommended Onctose . Bepanthen would probably also have done. Several of the assistants at the pharmacy gathered round, making various comments, mostly not complimentary, some sympathetic. The ointment worked after a day or two and the itching subsided. So if we see a procession, as we did in our garden a week or two ago, I send my dear OH out with his blowtorch. No compassion
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

The reason I ask is that I've had red, itchy skin on my limbs and neck for about 3 months now. The doctor's prescriptions failed to cure it. My blood test showed nothing, including allergic reactions and I've just had a microbial skin test which has showed no signs of fungal or yeast infection so I'm wondering if it could be a plant or insect that I keep coming into contact with, without really knowing it.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

psoriasis?
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I thought that too but it's worse and very persistent.

Anyway, today I got some results back from the lab and it appears to a bacterial infection called "staphylococcus scalded skin syndrome"

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Staphyl ... ndrome.htm
Zen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Scalded skin syndrome

Post by Zen »

I see a fair bit of this , but your symptoms don't seem right for it. Staph aureus is a common bug on the skin so they may have grown it from you but scalded skin syndrome is more like acute blistering and doesn't last months.
Sounds more like an allergy.
Zen
Zen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Zen »

Just looked up re the caterpillars and they sound more likely culprits for itchy red marks - See. http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2011 ... .4351.full

sounds like it's an increasing problem
Zen
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Seems these little varmints are worse this year than usual due to the mild winter. Take care when walking dogs - oh and children......
http://www.lindependant.fr/2014/03/13/h ... [Zone_info]