Leishmaniasis Vaccine

Post all topics on our furry 4 legged friends here.

Moderator: Moderators

A.M.A.
Rank 0
Rank 0

Leishmaniasis Vaccine

Post by A.M.A. »

Since the Phlebotomus article was posted a preventative vaccine has become available. It consists of a course of 3 injections administered at 3 week intervals to dogs over 6 months of age. Sadly my pup isn't old enough to have the full course before we set out for the Pyrenees next month so we shall be relying on a Scalibor collar and staying indoors from dusk each evening. I am considering having him vaccinated before our winter visit but would like to make an educated decision, what are your views and experiences of this vaccine?
dsd
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dsd »

In the summer I use Advantix and sometimes Scalibor as well, as my dog often goes in the river which can reduce the efficiency of pipettes.

As for the vaccination, it's not 100% sure but the manufacturers claim 93% and the risk of contamination being reduced dramatically (up to 4 times less chance of getting it). The vaccine came out in 2011 but I'm still wary of it as we don't really know enough about it, some dogs have reactions to it, others don't. My main objection is the price: around or in excess of 200 Euros the 1st year for the 3 injections, then the yearly booster (75 Euros?)

If you do a Google search you find lots of vets recommending it, but then they're making money out of it. My vet tried to convince me that it would be cheaper than treating every 3 weeks with Advantix, but you would still have to treat for fleas and ticks, so you wouldn't be saving much. I found far fewer people who said they were entirely happy with it.

I have lived here for 30 years and my dogs have always been fine with the pipettes and/or collar, so I must admit I'm going to wait a bit and if I hear lots of positive feedback for the vaccine, I might do it.

Frontline have brought out a new product Tri-Action which treats for phlébotomes but I have read several articles saying that quite a few dogs in the States had seizures after the product was applied and some actually died.

As I said, I'm not against it, just wary. Each person has to weigh up the pros and cons and make their decision
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

No experience of the vaccine, but I once priced it and, from memory, with 3 visits it was going to be around €250. We have always used the Scalibor collar, from April to October, which is the period of most danger, according to our vet. As with all preventative measures, I have no way of knowing how effective the collar is. Suffice to say that neither of our dogs has had leishmaniose
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

We use the pipettes, have done so for more than 10 years and have never had any problems. My mother in law had her dog injected last month and he was quite ill for over a week, enough for her to take him back to the vet who said it was probably side effects of the injection and charged her for the consultation. We don't take our dogs into wild, wet or wooded areas after dark.... but having said that, I think there must also be an element of bad luck, being in the wrong place....
Pighunter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Pighunter »

My vet in Amelie, Clinique du Montalba, does the vaccination at cost price around €150 for the first course.

Bullet tested negative for LM in spite of having lived rough in the woods for at least a month before he arrived at my place and as we are regularly out in the woods he is vaccinated and regularly dosed with pipettes. He is usually ill for a day after the jab but then back to normal.
A.M.A.
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by A.M.A. »

Many thanks for your prompt replies, they are very reassuring. Back in the 60s our dog went with us when we lived in Italy, then the main concern was rabies and we had to live through the 6 months quarantine on returning to the UK. Thank goodness that is a thing of the past. Much has changed in the interim so it feels like a whole new experience taking my young Patterdale to the Cerdagne. I am very grateful for the advice given here, many thanks again.