Dog Breed

Post all topics on our furry 4 legged friends here.

Moderator: Moderators

ruby
Rank 2
Rank 2

Dog Breed

Post by ruby »

Hi,

Does anyone know if the 'Cane Corso' breed of dog is a category 1 or 2 of dangerous dogs in France? These do not have the cut ears, and are usually black in colour.
I have searched on the internet but im not to sure, so i thought someone on here may know more, I do not want to spark off a debate on dangerous dogs as i know a few of us on here have strong views especially when it comes to animals! but i would really appreciate a definate answer to this...or perhaps somewhere i could contact to find out?
Thanks and happy easter!
Ruby

Property Management, Holiday lets & Property Sales in Dept 66
www.lesjoursheureux66.com
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

My neighbor has one and she's (the bitch) not counted in the classes for the dangerous breeds.

She is a very strong dog though. Her master can barely control her and she needs to be on the leash. This is mostly since the owner doesn't know how to train her.

This particular dog is way too fat. My wife knows the litter male and he's quite trim.

The neighbor's dog is good with our male Labs, so it's not a problem but the female really doesn't like other girly dogs.

Remember that these are big dogs and you're going to need a lot of dog food daily.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rose »

We have friends who have a Staffordshire and many of the French people they meet are frightened because they think it is a Pit Bull.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Staffs are one of the Class dogs which needs to be musseled and be on a leash at the same time. It's in the same Class as the Pit Bull.

I spoke with crankypants and she said that the Cane Corso isn't listed.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

staffordshire bull terriors have been de-classed for over a year now and are not now seen as dangerous dogs.i have one and its true, the french think he is a"pit" or a "staff american". when you explain he is neither but a "staff anglais" they look puzzled.since he has not had to wear his muzzle peoples reactions have changed for the better.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

blackduff wrote:Staffs are one of the Class dogs which needs to be musseled and be on a leash at the same time. It's in the same Class as the Pit Bull.

I spoke with crankypants and she said that the Cane Corso isn't listed.

Blackduff
Carnkypants?

Sounds like a good pet name for someone I know.
ruby
Rank 2
Rank 2

cane corso

Post by ruby »

Hi,

Thanks for your replies, We have now got a rescue dog from the centre in Ille Sur Tet, her name is Elia and she was abandoned, she is about 6 months old - and is a cane corso cross.
She is still a little poorley with kennel cough and is weak on her legs, just hoping its not hip displacia which can be common in large breeds.
She is very stubborn so having to brush up on our training!
thanks
Ruby

blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Ruby
You can possibly join the club at Nefiac and it's a good way to learn together with Elia.

Blackduff
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

from Helen

Congrats, Ruby, on the new member of the family.
It's always heart-warming to hear someone has adopted a rescue dog; so many are never adopted 'cos they're too big, too old or bad-tempered (badly treated!).
Very many happy years together.

ps: Try, if at all possible, to find out something about her background....why Elia was abandoned.
ps#2. Sorry to be such a know-al, but Blackduff is abs right - a professional training course is a must for such a strong breed.
Good luck.
ruby
Rank 2
Rank 2

cane corso

Post by ruby »

thanks Helen,
we had our last dog 9 years and he was a rottweiler, we attended loads of puppy classes so using some of that - the difference is that she is a girl! and we do not know her past, she seems nervous of strangers but wants to play with everything else. I would love to know why she was abandoned like so many others.... she is going to be hard work but worth it, I love her so much already but i am really hoping she starts to feel better and her legs strenthen up as she is still a little lethargic.
I also forgot how much vets can cost!! and as mentioned earlier... yes she can eat alot already!

cheers, what lovely weather today - off to the river with our new puppy! x
Ruby